Tuesday Jun 09, 2015
Wednesday Mar 18, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Mar 18, 2015
Do you believe that most applications will fit in a Paas offering? Making his fourth appearance in a 2 Minute Tech Tip, Oracle director of product development and eCommerce in the Cloud (2014, O'Reilly Media) author Kelly Goetsch devotes his 120 seconds to an explanation of why Oracle changed its mind on that point, and why you should, too.
- Mastering DevOps With Oracle
An extensive presentation by Kelly Goetsch, on which his tech tip is based.
- Video: 2 Minute Tech Tip: When Fixing a Problem is a Bad Idea
Kelly's 2 Minute Tech Tip from February 4, 2015.
- Video: 2 Minute Tech Tip: Middleware as a Service
Kelly's 2 Minute Tech Tip from January 20, 2015.
- Podcast: Cloud on the Street: Evolving Conversations
Kelly was one of the panelists for this conversation.
- Sampler: eCommerce in the Cloud
Excerpts from Kelly's book.
Want more 2 Minute Tech Tips? Click here.
Friday Feb 27, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 27, 2015
Say hello to the Top 10 most popular updates from the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page from the last seven days, February 20-26, 2015.
- Introducing Oracle Big Data Discovery Part 1: "The Visual Face of Hadoop" | Mark Rittman
Oracle ACE Director Mark Rittman kicks off a new series with this look at how Big Data Discovery is architected and how it works with Cloudera CDH5.
- Oracle has introduced API Manager! | Maarten Smeets
Certified Oracle SOA / Java / BPM integration specialist Maarten Smeets shares his perspective on the recently released Oracle API Manager.
- Calling All WebLogic Users: Please Help Us Improve WebLogic Documentation! | Reza Rahman
Reza Rahman shares information on a new, 2-page survey you can complete to help improve WebLogic documentation.
- Jumpstarting Development on the Cloud – Part 2: Packaging and Build | Ashish Singh
This article by solution architect Ashish Singh demonstrates how to use the Developer Cloud Service to automate your Maven based development lifecycle, with a focus on how the Maven Repository can be populated with Weblogic or other custom jars, and how the Hudson build jobs and deployments can be configured.
- Extending Your SaaS Applications with PaaS | Debra Lilley
Oracle ACE Director Debra Lilley recaps what she learned in a workshop focused on building PaaS extensions using the Rapid Development Kit, a collection of ADF artifacts.
- Jumpstarting Development on the #Cloud – Part 1 : Standardizing a Workflow | Jeevan Joseph
Solution architect Jeevan Joseph's article introduces you to a standardized multi-user workflow for the Oracle Developer Cloud Service. The intent is to showcase a how a team starting on the Service would collaborate on code to address various requirements and use-cases in a typical SDLC model.
- Oracle Weblogic SAML2 Authorization | Luis Rodriguez
CERN's Luis Rodriguez illustrates how to authorize your users in Oracle Weblogic once they have been authenticated.
- 4 New OTN Tech articles on JDeveloper, BPM, ADF
What do Wilfred van der Deijl, Richard Olrichs, Antonis Antoniou, and Ganesh Kamble do when they're not actually working with JDeveloper, ADF, and Oracle BPM? They write detailed technical articles to help you in your work with JDeveloper, ADF, and Oracle BPM. Here are four great examples.
- Data Presenter Framework - Webcenter Portal PS7 | Rohan Walia
Rohan Walia's article provides an overview of WebCenter Data Presenter and step-by-step instructions for creating data controls and task flows at runtime.
- Honing a Cloud Transformation Strategy: Part III: The Critical "How" | Ron Batra
According to Oracle ACE Director and cloud expert Ron Batra, "The How" is where the rubber really meets the road in your cloud transformation strategy. "Things become infinitely more interesting," he says. Read the latest installment in his ongoing series.
Friday Feb 13, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 13, 2015
Among the 6,452 fans of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page, the 10 items below where the most popular for the last seven days, February 6-12, 2015.
- Using SQL XMLTable, XMLType, and XPath to Extract HTML CLOB Data | Jesse Stephens
A detailed technical how-to from Oracle Fusion Middleware A-Team solution architect Jesse Stephens.
- Oracle PaaS and UX: Keepin' it <af:simple/> with Oracle Alta UI and eProseed | Ultan O'Broin
"The cloud has changed everything, and user experience is no exception," writes Ultan O'Broin in this great recap of the Oracle Applications Cloud User Experience PaaS event held in conjunction with eProseed in the Netherlands. "Make no mistake; it's 'Game Over' for traditional ways of selling software and for people accepting less than compelling user experiences in work. User experience is a competitive must-have, and a capability to deliver a rockin’ UX using PaaS is the partner differentiator."
- Nexus and Atifactory support for proxying Oracle Maven Repository | Mark Nelson
Mark Nelson shares the good news for those using their own Maven Repository Manager, as the two major players add support to their products to allow proxying of the Oracle Maven Repository.
- Facebook Friday: Top 10 ArchBeat Posts for the week - Jan 30 -Feb 5, 2015
Last week's list of the Top 10 items shared on the OTN ArchBeat Facebook page includes content covering EJB, Maven, Oracle MAF, REST, WebLogic, and more.
- Submit Your OTN VTS Fusion Middleware Session/Track Ideas | Oracle Community
Use your words! Submit a proposal for a session in an upcoming Oracle Technology Network Virtual Technology Summit, or respond to a poll to help drive the selection of topics to be covered.
- Invite Enterprise Architecture to the Digital Party | WIRED
"All too often [enterprise architects] get buried in the IT department," says Jason Bloomberg in this Wired article. "Their focus ends up on technology concerns, which are important to be sure, but the connection to the business is tenuous at best."
- Oracle Mobile Development Certification Exam - Beta Testing | Shay Shmeltzer
As reported by Shay Shmeltzer, the Oracle Mobile Development 2015 Essentials Exam (1Z1-441) is now available in beta testing. According to Shay, this certification covers topics such as: Mobile Application Framework, Mobile Application Framework Data Layer, User Interface Development, Device Services Integration, and App Security. Up-to-date training and field experience are recommended. Click the link for more information.
- Oracle Maven Repository: Viewing Contents in Eclipse | Steven Button
"With the Oracle Maven Repository now accessible one way to have explore its contents is to use the Maven Repositories viewer feature available in most development tools," says Steve Button. His post focuses on accessing the Repository with Eclipse.
- Middleware Snippets: Cassandra and WebLogic | Rene van Wijk
Picking up where he left off in his previous post, Oracle ACE Director Rene van Wijk shows you how to use Grinder and Java Mission Control to monitor the JVM in which Cassandra is running.
- Training, Certification, and Career Goals: How did you get where you are?
What training or certification had the greatest impact on your career as a senior developer or software architect? Click the link to share your story. Your response could help others achieve their career goals.
Friday Jan 30, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 30, 2015
The Top 10 most popular articles and other content shared with the 6,425 fans of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page over the last seven days, January 23-29, 2015.
- Building a Scalable, Highly Available Oracle API Gateway 11g Infrastructure in a Cloud Environment | Marcelo Parisi
With its focus on service protection, and its authentication mechanisms, message encryption, and security/policy functionalities, Oracle API Gateway (OAG) 11g can be a very powerful tool in the secure provisioning of services in the cloud. This article shows you how to create a cloud-based OAG infrastructure, with high-availability and scalability support.
- Archive Podcast: Meeting SOA Governance Challenges
This four-part OTN ArchBeat Podcast from January 2013 gives you a seat at a roundtable discussion with four experts on the evolution of SOA Governance: what old problems persist, what new problems have presented themselves, and what can be done to implement an efficient and effective SOA governance program.
- Virus-Proofing Oracle WebCenter Content 11g with Oracle API Gateway 11g | Marcelo Parisi
Marcelo Parisi's article is a proof-of-concept for a basic infrastructure re-architecture and software configuration needed to implement a basic virus-checking routine on files before they get to Oracle WebCenter Content.
- Spinning-up a Coherence Cluster with Weblogic Scripting (WLST) | David Felcey
The WebLogic scripting and management features available with Coherence 12c Managed Servers make it easy to create Coherence clusters and manage applications. Using the Weblogic Scripting Tool (WLST), the whole lifecycle of Managed Coherence Servers can be controlled, from creating and starting a Coherence cluster to deploying Coherence applications. This article from David Felcey outlines how to do just this, using some sample WLST scripts.
- SOA Suite 12c: In-depth look into Managed File Transfer (1/3) | Robert van Molken
Managed File Transfer is a simple and secure End-to-End Managed File Gateway, with support for large files, encryption, auditing, monitoring and pass-by-reference. Robert van Molken's article looks at Oracle Managed File Transfer (MFT) as a solution to the growing problems with the use of FTP in the enterprise.
- Disaster Recovery for On-Premise Fusion Applications | Roland Koenn
Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity are key requirements with most business critical on-premise Fusion Applications environments. Disaster Recovery for FA can be broken down into two layers that have to be synchronized to achieve full recoverability: Shared storage and databases. The solution described in Roland Koenn's article supports simple full site switchover / failover and will satisfy most business requirements.
- 3 Sessions on Data Integration and Warehousing | OTN Virtual Tech Summit, Feb 11
The middleware track of the OTN Virtual Technology Summit on February 11, 2015 includes three sessions on Data Integration and Warhousing: "Real-Time Data Replication to Hadoop using GoldenGate 12c Adaptors," " Bringing Oracle Big Data SQL to Oracle Data Integration 12c Mappings," and "An Introduction to Oracle Enterprise Metadata Manager." The event is free, so register now!
- Trends in Data Management: Unlock the True Value Proposition of Big Data | Ron Batra
"The typical reference architecture has shifted significantly over the years," says Oracle ACE Director Ron Batra in this article from Profit Magazine. "Due to the rich variety of data sources...we see systems and architectures that are net-new to the average enterprise—for example, machine learning, data mining, predictive analytics, and big data visualization."
- iOS Setup and Requirements Guidelines for MAF 2.1.0 | Martin Deh
With the release of Oracle MAF 2.1.0 there are a few important items that will need to be considered when upgrading the iOS environment and with JDeveloper. This article from solution architect Martin Deh covers installation guidelines and other details.
- How FXLoader Integrates Oracle PaaS and SaaS | Peter Care
This concise article by Peter Care from FXLoader presents the details on his solution that combines Oracle PaaS, SaaS and the Cloud Marketplace.
Tuesday Jan 27, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 27, 2015
The Top 10 most popular tweets from @OTNArchBeat for the last seven days, January 20-26, 2015.
- RT @Oracle: Is your #PaaS delivering the agility your users demand? Find out Jan 28 at 10am PT
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM
- RT @MaartenSmeetsNL: New blog post on the Oracle SOA Suite 12c Coherence Adapter @soacommunity @AMIS_Services
Jan 24, 2015 at 06:57 PM
- Bringing Oracle Big Data SQL to ODI12c Mappings, by @markrittman. OTN Virtual Tech Summit Feb 11.
Jan 21, 2015 at 02:00 PM
- #OTNVTS Middleware sub-track: Data Integration and Analytics, w/ @mRainey @markrittman @stewartbryson
Jan 22, 2015 at 08:49 AM
- #OTNVTS Middleware track Open Source and Integration Session Agenda #weblogic #coherence #maven
Jan 21, 2015 at 02:26 PM
- #WebLogic #Docker images added to Oracle's github, h/t to @markxnelson
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:09 AM
- Oracle #Maven Repository Index now available - more to come | @MarkxNelson
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM
- RT @stewartbryson: See me at the #OTN Virtual Technology Summit Middleware Track: Data Integration & Analytics @oracleace @OTNArchBeat
Jan 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM
- Podcast: A new approach to #BI projects, w/ @andrewjohnbond @stewartbryson @markrittman
Jan 22, 2015 at 01:46 PM
- Oracle User Group members! We want your feedback on tech review sites. Take this anonymous survey.
Jan 26, 2015 at 07:28 AM
Friday Jan 23, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 23, 2015
Here it is! Among the 6,417 fans of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page, the following items were the Top 10 most popular for the last seven days, January 16-22, 2015.
- 3 Middleware Expert Sessions on Integration and Open Source
Oracle experts Brian Oliver (Architect, Oracle Coherence team), Mikael Fries (Director of Product Management for Oracle Application Testing Solutions) and Mark Nelson (Architect, Oracle Platform Engineering) will each present sessions on Integration and Open Source, part of the Middleware track in the free Oracle Technology Network Virtual Technology Summit, February 11, 2015. Register now!
- Loading Data in Oracle Database Cloud Service | Arvind Srinivasamoorthy
The Oracle Database Cloud Service (DbCS) does not provide a JDBC interface for external applications and tools (such as SQL developer) to work directly with data in DbCS. However, there are multiple options available bringing data into DbCS. This article by A-Team solution architect Arvind Srinivasamoorthy discusses these options in the context of loading data.
- Reading MAF iOS Simulator Logging Output | Andrejus Baranovskis
Oracle ACE Director Andrejus Baranovskis shows you how to locate and open the application.log file so you can read Oracle Mobile Application Framework logging output from the iOS simulator.
- SOA and BPM 12.1.3 BP1 Released | Mark Nelson
Here's a brief post from RedStack blogger Mark Nelson with information on the release of the Oracle SOA and BPM 12.1.3 Bundle Patch 1 (BP1).
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c: New Enterprise Manager Release Delivers Adaptive Private PaaS | Yoav Eilat
Yoav Eilat's post looks at three areas where database and middleware users and managers will benefit from Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c's expanded capabilities around Platform as a Service (PaaS) delivery in private clouds.
- Facebook Friday: Top 10 ArchBeat Posts for the Week - Jan 9-15, 2015
The January 16 edition of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Friday Top 10 list included links to articles covering Authentication, Business Intelligence, eCommerce, Endeca, GoldenGate 12c, Maven, WebLogic, and more. Catch up on what you might have missed!
- OTN Virtual Technology Summit: Middleware Track: Open Source and Integration Agenda
The Middleware track in the OTN Virtual Technology Summit coming up in February is itself split into two sub-tracks. This post from the OTN ArchBeat Blog presents the agenda for the sessions in the Open Source and Integration sub-track, which features sessions covering WebLogic, Coherence, Maven, Java EE, and more.
- OTN VTS Middleware Track Session Resources
If you plan to participate in the middleware track of the OTN Virtual Technology Summit on Feb 11, you'll want to take a look at this list of supplemental resources. Included in the list are guides for the hands-on labs for the Oracle Maven Repository,
- Inside Fusion Middleware 12c: Increasing Scalability with JMS Adapter 12c | Stefan Koser
This article by A-Team solution architect Stefan Koser illustrates how the JMS Adapter in the new Fusion Middleware 12c release can be configured in high throughput scenarios to use fewer threads than in previous versions.
- OTN Virtual Technology Summit: Middleware Track: Data Integration and Analytics
One of two sub-tracks in the Middleware track of the OTN Virtual Technology Summit coming up in February, Data Integration and Analytics features sessions by Oracle ACE Directors Mark Rittman and Stewart Bryson, and Oracle ACE Michael Rainey. The sessions will cover, ODI, GoldenGate, Oracle Enterprise Metadata Manager, Hadoop, and more. Get the complete agenda in this post on the OTN ArchBeat blog.
Friday Feb 07, 2014
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 07, 2014
- Fast Data in Action | Corina Todea
Corina Todea shares "a demonstration of how Fusion Middleware can be used to build an architecture based on Oracle Event Processor, Coherence and Oracle Database for customers that have a requirement for a mixture of real-time processing, near-time analysis and long running batch analysis of the same or a similar data set."
- Testing Oracle Direct Connector for HDFS as an Alternative to Hive ODBC for OBIEE11g | Mark Rittman
Oracle ACE Director Mark Rittman shares the results of his comparison. Which one gets the gold? Read the post and find out.
- Latest OTN Architect Community Technical Articles
Always working to extract insight from the brains of experts! Here's a list of the latest OTN articles for architects, all published in the last 30 days, covering ODI, OIM, WebLogic, OSB, OEM12c, and IoT.
- Video: BPM and the Single Customer View | Shaukat Desai
SOA architect Shaukat Desai explains the value of BPM in implementing a Single Customer View to support Customer Experience (CX) projects, including how to use BPM to minimize the impact inside applications, implementing a federated model to resolve the challenges of a master/slave implementations, and leveraging the value of social network intelligence.
- Podcast: Taking Charge: Meeting SOA Governance Challenges - Part 2
In part 2 SOA governance experts Mark Dutra, Manuel Rosa, Andre Sampaio, and Luis Weir discuss some of the most persistent obstacles to effective SOA governance -- and how to remove them.
- PaaS isn't just for DevOps anymore. Nor has it ever been.
"Without necessarily making it a conscious decision, organizations that are to be successful in the cloud naturally aspire to continuous delivery and become DevOps experts," says Sacha Labourey in this article for ServerSide.com.
- Do I need to run WebLogic Server in a certified platform? | Luz Mestre
The answer is yes. Click the link to read Principal Technical Support Engineer Luz Mestre's explanation.
- Integrating With Fusion Application Using Services (Perl: SOAP::Lite) | Jani Rautiainen
Jani Rautiainen's post is one of a series that describes how to invoke SOAP web services provided by Fusion Applications using various technologies.
- Video Tutorial: Oracle BPM and Coffee
This entertaining Oracle Learning Library video explains the fundamentals of Business Process Management using a coffee shop as a model.
- Looking at the ODI12c Hadoop Demos in the New Oracle BigDataLite VM | Mark Rittman
Oracle ACE Director Mark Rittman continues his exploration of the newly released Oracle BigDataLite VM (now available on OTN) with a look at the Oracle Data Integrator 12c install and Hadoop integration examples included in the VM.
Thought for the Day
"Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true."
— Charles Dickens, writer
(February 7, 1812 – June 9, 1870))
Monday Jan 07, 2013
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 07, 2013
The first OTN ArchBeat Podcast for 2013 brings you the latest news from the Oracle Cloud in a discussion with three key people behind that effort.
- Rick Greenwald: Director of Product Management for Database Cloud Initiatives at Oracle
- Mike Lehmann: Senior Director of Product Management for Oracle Fusion Middleware, Java Application and Cloud Infrastructure.
- Dom Lindars: Cloud architect for Oracle.
- Listen to Part 1: Under the Hood
The panel discusses the technologies underlying the Oracle Cloud.
- Listen to Part 2: 30 Days in the Cloud
The panel shares information on the the Oracle Database and Oracle Java Cloud Services, with details on how you can get a 30-day free trial.
If you read this blog or follow my updates on Twitter and Facebook you've probably seen references to Oracle ACEs and Oracle ACE Directors. But do you really know what that designation means? You'll find out in the next OTN ArchBeat Podcast as I talk to
three four people deeply involved in that program.
Tuesday Aug 28, 2012
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Posts for August 21-27
- 2 Min Tech Tips at Oracle OpenWorld: Are You Ready for Your Close-Up?
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - August 18-24, 2015
- Facebook Friday: The Top 10 Posts for August 14-20, 2015
- OTN Virtual Technology Summit Middleware Track: Focus on PaaS
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - August 11-17, 2015
- Facebook Friday: The Top 10 ArchBeat Posts for August 7-13, 2015
- Video: Programming Languages for the Raspberry Pi | Lonneke Dikmans
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - August 4-10, 2015
- Facebook Friday: The Nine Items I Posted During My Vacation