Friday Aug 21, 2015
Friday Apr 03, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Apr 03, 2015
Tuesday Feb 17, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 17, 2015
The items listed below generated the most retweets among the 3,538 @OTNArchBeat followers between February 10-16, 2015.
- #OTNVTS middleware track. 6 experts. 6 sessions. All FREE. Feb 25
Feb 16, 2015 at 12:00 AM
- RT @ginablaber: Is your current role involved with software architecture? Tell us, and you could win a free pass to #OReillySACon
Feb 12, 2015 at 08:50 AM
- Info on today's #OTNVTS sessions by @MarkRittman @StewartBryson @MRainey #ODI #OGG #OBIEE
Feb 11, 2015 at 09:07 AM
- #OTNVTS proposals by @lonnekedikmans @rluttikhuizen @t_winterberg @RodrigoRadtke. Vote or submit your own.
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM
- OTN Middleware online lab: Data Replication to Hadoop using GoldenGate 12c Adaptors - 9:30PT today
Feb 11, 2015 at 11:30 AM
- Ready for your close-up? 35 people have recorded #2MTT videos. Isn't it time you did one, too?
Feb 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM
- Register now! Free OTN Virtual Technology Summit Feb 11. 6 Sessions in Middleware track. #integration
Feb 10, 2015 at 02:00 PM
- Video: Effective #DevOps Through Cultural Change, by @KellyGoetsch #2MTT
Feb 11, 2015 at 05:05 PM
- Free #OTNVTS Feb 25. Middleware sessions by @markxnelson @pinocchiocode @MikaelFries #jcache #maven
Feb 13, 2015 at 08:00 PM
- RT @brendantierney: Check out my OTN 2 Minute Tech Tip video on Predictive Queries in #Oracle #12c with @brhubart @OTNArchBeat
Feb 13, 2015 at 09:57 AM
Friday Feb 13, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 13, 2015
Among the 6,452 fans of the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page, the 10 items below where the most popular for the last seven days, February 6-12, 2015.
- Using SQL XMLTable, XMLType, and XPath to Extract HTML CLOB Data | Jesse Stephens
A detailed technical how-to from Oracle Fusion Middleware A-Team solution architect Jesse Stephens.
- Oracle PaaS and UX: Keepin' it <af:simple/> with Oracle Alta UI and eProseed | Ultan O'Broin
"The cloud has changed everything, and user experience is no exception," writes Ultan O'Broin in this great recap of the Oracle Applications Cloud User Experience PaaS event held in conjunction with eProseed in the Netherlands. "Make no mistake; it's 'Game Over' for traditional ways of selling software and for people accepting less than compelling user experiences in work. User experience is a competitive must-have, and a capability to deliver a rockin’ UX using PaaS is the partner differentiator."
- Nexus and Atifactory support for proxying Oracle Maven Repository | Mark Nelson
Mark Nelson shares the good news for those using their own Maven Repository Manager, as the two major players add support to their products to allow proxying of the Oracle Maven Repository.
- Facebook Friday: Top 10 ArchBeat Posts for the week - Jan 30 -Feb 5, 2015
Last week's list of the Top 10 items shared on the OTN ArchBeat Facebook page includes content covering EJB, Maven, Oracle MAF, REST, WebLogic, and more.
- Submit Your OTN VTS Fusion Middleware Session/Track Ideas | Oracle Community
Use your words! Submit a proposal for a session in an upcoming Oracle Technology Network Virtual Technology Summit, or respond to a poll to help drive the selection of topics to be covered.
- Invite Enterprise Architecture to the Digital Party | WIRED
"All too often [enterprise architects] get buried in the IT department," says Jason Bloomberg in this Wired article. "Their focus ends up on technology concerns, which are important to be sure, but the connection to the business is tenuous at best."
- Oracle Mobile Development Certification Exam - Beta Testing | Shay Shmeltzer
As reported by Shay Shmeltzer, the Oracle Mobile Development 2015 Essentials Exam (1Z1-441) is now available in beta testing. According to Shay, this certification covers topics such as: Mobile Application Framework, Mobile Application Framework Data Layer, User Interface Development, Device Services Integration, and App Security. Up-to-date training and field experience are recommended. Click the link for more information.
- Oracle Maven Repository: Viewing Contents in Eclipse | Steven Button
"With the Oracle Maven Repository now accessible one way to have explore its contents is to use the Maven Repositories viewer feature available in most development tools," says Steve Button. His post focuses on accessing the Repository with Eclipse.
- Middleware Snippets: Cassandra and WebLogic | Rene van Wijk
Picking up where he left off in his previous post, Oracle ACE Director Rene van Wijk shows you how to use Grinder and Java Mission Control to monitor the JVM in which Cassandra is running.
- Training, Certification, and Career Goals: How did you get where you are?
What training or certification had the greatest impact on your career as a senior developer or software architect? Click the link to share your story. Your response could help others achieve their career goals.
Friday Feb 06, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 06, 2015
The data determines that these are the Top 10 most popular updates from the OTN ArchBeat Facebook Page for the last seven days, January 30 - February 5, 2015.
- Best Jobs in America: Software Architect is #1
"Software Architect" once again tops the CNN/Money list of "top 100 careers with big growth, great pay and satisfying work," beating out "Video Game Designer."
- Getting Started with iOS Development using Eclipse and Java | Shay Shmeltzer
Shay Schmeltzer's step-by-step video demo shows you how to use Eclipse to build an on-device mobile application that runs on iOS devices.
- Using the WebLogic Embedded EJB Container | Steve Button
The WebLogic Server 12.1.3 EJB Developers Guide was recently updated to note that the embedded EJB container can be used by adding a reference to weblogic.jar to the CLASSPATH when the EJB client is being executed. Steve Button's short how-to will help you get started.
- WebLogic Maven Plugin - Simplest Example | Steve Button
Steve Button's post is a response to several recent questions about how to configure the WebLogic Maven Plug-in.
- Oracle Mobile Suite - Web Service Performance Optimisation with Result Caching | Andrejus Baranovskis
According to Oracle ACE Director Andrejus Baranovkis, one of the primary advantages of Oracle Mobile Suite is Service Bus and SOAP/REST web service transformation. "You will get very nice performance improvement," He shows you how it all works in this technical post.
- Trends in Cloud Computing: The Rise of SaaS and PaaS | Debra Lilley
"I predict that, in 2015 and beyond, PaaS for SaaS will emerge as the de-facto way to extend Oracle Applications in a safe, manageable, and cost-effective way," says Oracle ACE Director Debra Lilley in this article from Profit Magazine
- Announcing Oracle Mobile Application Framework 2.1 - Now Available | Shay Shmeltzer
This new version focuses on upgrading the framework's infrastructure and includes support for Java 8, Cordova 3, Xcode 6, and Android 5. Click the link for more information.
- MAF 2.1 - Debugger Improvements and Mobile REST Client | Andrejus Baranovskis
Oracle ACE Director Andrejus Baranovskis shares solutions to some problems he recently encountered while implementing and mapping a programmatic MAF client for a REST service.
- EM12c: How to Retrieve Passwords from the Named Credentials | Gokhan Atil
Oracle ACE Gokhan Atil's detailed post shows you how to keep digging to retrieve encrypted information saved in named credentials.
- Video: WLST Script Profiles | Peter Bowers
In this new how-to technical video from the Oracle WebLogic YouTube Channel, Peter Bowers, a key developer on the WebLogic team, talks about the WLST script profile feature, and offers some cool sample code and a demo.
Monday Feb 02, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 02, 2015
Planning on participating in the Middleware sessions that are part of next week's OTN Virtual Technology Summit? Great! But did you know that there are important prerequisites for those sessions? The highly interactive nature of the middleware sessions means you don't just get to sit on your hands.
For example, if you plan to participate in Mark Nelson's session on Getting Started with the Oracle Maven Repository, (part of the Open Source and Integration sub-track) you will need the Oracle Maven Repository Lab Guide, which includes information on where you can download key prerequisites:
Likewise, if you plan to participate in Real-Time Data Replication to Hadoop using GoldenGate 12c Adaptors by Oracle ACE Michael Rainey, or in Bringing Oracle Big Data SQL to Oracle Data Integration 12c Mappings by Oracle ACE Director Mark Rittman, you need to check out Tame Big Data Using Oracle Data Integration. This demo forms the basis for the sessions by Rainey and Rittman, and includes information on how to access and install the Oracle Big Data Lite Virtual Machine, which provides an integrated environment to help you get started with the Oracle Big Data platform.
Click here for an extensive list of other resources that will help get the most out of your OTN Virtual Technology Summit experience.
Register now for the
Thursday Jan 29, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 29, 2015
There are 136 videos available on the OTN ArchBeat YouTube Channel. In the last 30 days viewers spent more than 137 hours watching that content. Does that qualify as bingeing? Anyway, the Top 10 list below represents the videos that attracted the most eyeballs.
- 2 Minute Tech Tip: Vagrant, Puppet, Docker, and Packer | Lucas Jellema [September 2014]
No, they're not four of the Seven Dwarves. Oracle ACE Director Lucas Jellema, CTO of AMIS Service faces the two-minute clock with a tip focused on using Vagrant, Puppet, Docker, and Packer, and their impact on the management of virtual machines.
- 2 Minute Tech Tip: 2 Minute Tech Tip: Just Say No to Spaghetti Code | Steven Feuerstein [November 2014]
Getting lost in your own code? Oracle architect and PL/SQL guru Steven Feuerstein nails this 2 Minute Tech Tip video with best practices for avoiding code that resembles a big bowl of pasta.
- 2 Minute Tip: Upgrading to Oracle SOA Suite 12c | Danilo Schmiedel [November 2014]
Oracle ACE Director and Opitz Consulting Solution Architect Danilo Schmiedel devotes his 120 seconds to a tech tip focused on upgrading from Oracle SOA Suite 11g to SOA Suite 12c.
- Build, Test and Deploy with WebLogic 12 and Maven | Steven Button [May 2014]
Steve Button demonstrates the new Maven-related capabilities in Oracle WebLogic Server 12.1.2, including the ability to push Oracle
- Best Practices in Oracle ADF Development | Frank Nimphius [January 2014]
- Oracle ADF for Oracle Forms and PL/SQL Developers - Why it's the Right Choice | Grant Ronald [January 2014]
Grant Ronald discuses the techniques that make developers more productive when building enterprise applications and how Oracle ADF implements special features that make Java-based development fast and simple with a visual and declarative development experience.
- 2 Minute Tech Tip: Oracle 12c New Features | Rich Niemiec [October 2014]
Oracle ACE Director Rich Neimiec -- or possibly a clone thereof -- delivers a rather strange tech tip. Recorded at Oracle OpenWorld 2014.
- Debugging and Logging for Oracle ADF Applications | Chris Muir [January 2014]
We're only human. Regardless how much work Oracle ADF does for us, or how powerful the JDeveloper IDE is, the inescapable truth is that as developers we will still make mistakes and introduce bugs into our ADF applications. In this video Oracle ADF Product Manager Chris Muir explores the sophisticated debugging tooling JDeveloper provides.
- Improve Your Oracle ADF App Response Time by as Much as 70 Percent | Frank Houweling [January 2014]
Frank Houweling, senior Java, Oracle ADF, and SOA specialist at AMIS Technologies, discusses how you can optimize the performance of your Oracle ADF Fusion application, diagnose and solve typical performance problems, and build an efficient, responsive, scalable ADF application that circumvents common bad practices.
- 2 Minute Tech Tip: BPM Process Patterns using BPMN | Dan Atwood [September 2014]
Oracle ACE Dan Atwood's quick tip will help you get started with process modeling by using BPM Process Patterns.
Tuesday Jan 27, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 27, 2015
The Top 10 most popular tweets from @OTNArchBeat for the last seven days, January 20-26, 2015.
- RT @Oracle: Is your #PaaS delivering the agility your users demand? Find out Jan 28 at 10am PT
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM
- RT @MaartenSmeetsNL: New blog post on the Oracle SOA Suite 12c Coherence Adapter @soacommunity @AMIS_Services
Jan 24, 2015 at 06:57 PM
- Bringing Oracle Big Data SQL to ODI12c Mappings, by @markrittman. OTN Virtual Tech Summit Feb 11.
Jan 21, 2015 at 02:00 PM
- #OTNVTS Middleware sub-track: Data Integration and Analytics, w/ @mRainey @markrittman @stewartbryson
Jan 22, 2015 at 08:49 AM
- #OTNVTS Middleware track Open Source and Integration Session Agenda #weblogic #coherence #maven
Jan 21, 2015 at 02:26 PM
- #WebLogic #Docker images added to Oracle's github, h/t to @markxnelson
Jan 26, 2015 at 11:09 AM
- Oracle #Maven Repository Index now available - more to come | @MarkxNelson
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM
- RT @stewartbryson: See me at the #OTN Virtual Technology Summit Middleware Track: Data Integration & Analytics @oracleace @OTNArchBeat
Jan 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM
- Podcast: A new approach to #BI projects, w/ @andrewjohnbond @stewartbryson @markrittman
Jan 22, 2015 at 01:46 PM
- Oracle User Group members! We want your feedback on tech review sites. Take this anonymous survey.
Jan 26, 2015 at 07:28 AM
Wednesday Jan 21, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 21, 2015
The middleware track for the next Oracle Technology Network Virtual Technology Summit consists of two completely different sub-tracks:
As with every OTN Virtual Technology Summit, you can freely switch between any of the four primary tracks (Database, Java, Systems, Middleware), and between any sub-tracks within each.
In this post I want to focus on the agenda for the Open Source and Integration track, which covers WebLogic, Coherence, Maven and Java EE. I'll provide detail on the Data Integration and Analytics track in an upcoming post.
Register for this Free Event
|Session Abstract||Session Speaker Name/Title|
|Track Overview||This session includes an overview of the sessions in the middleware track, plus important information you need to know to get the most out of this OTN Virtual Technology Summit.||
Bob Rhubart, Manager, OTN Architect/Middleware Community
|Caching for Java - The JCache Standard and What it Means for You||By now you've likely heard about the JCache (JSR-107) standard that was recently accepted by the Java Community Process. As a long-standing JSR, it might have been easy to assume it would never come to light. But now this adoption offers a standardized way to provide caching for your Java applications. What does that mean? How can you use it? What are its limitations? Join us for a deep-dive into JCache and how Oracle's leadership in the caching space can provide your apps with increased performance.
Brian Oliver, Architect, Oracle Coherence
|Real-World Testing for Scalable Applications||The apps you're developing are getting increasingly complex, and they have multitudes of new requirements - including the ability to scale effectively. But how do you perform tests for your scalable applications efficiently? How can you spend less time worrying about testing and QA and more time creating value? Join us to discover how you can use Oracle Load Testing in order to test your apps' scalability without the fuss.||
Mikael Fries, Director of Product Management for Oracle Application Testing Solutions
|Getting Started with the Oracle Maven Repository||This session will focus on the brand new Oracle Maven Repository, which provides publicly accessible, online, on-demand access to the full set of Maven product artifacts provided in the Oracle WebLogic 12c releases. You'll learn what you'll find in the repository, how to access it, and we'll walk you step-by-step through how to use the repository in a project.||
Mark Nelson, Architect, Oracle Platform Engineering
You'll find an extensive list of additional resources for these sessions here, including hands-on lab guides and other information you'll want to access before the event.
About the OTN Virtual Technology Summit
Remember, each OTN Virtual Technology Summit includes four primary tracks:
You'll find the complete event agenda hereNote that the Database, Systems, and Middleware tracks each are split into two sub-tracks. So your registration for this event provides access to a total of seven tracks, and more than 20 individual sessions. You can freely switch between any of the tracks at any time.
Tuesday Jan 20, 2015
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Jan 20, 2015
Forget to keep up with the @OTNArchBeat Twitter feed? No worries! Here are the Top 10 most popular tweets for the last seven days, January 13-19, 2015.
- Managing WebLogic Server and Deployed Applications in DMZ and Other Network Setups, by Martin Heinzl
Jan 15, 2015 at 02:03 PM
- Free OTN Virtual Tech Summit Feb 11. Middleware track sessions on Open Source and Integration
Jan 13, 2015 at 05:00 PM
- Real-Time Data Replication to Hadoop using OGG12c Adaptors, by @michaelrainey - OTN Tech Summit Feb 11
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM
- OTN Tech Article: Marrying the Worlds of #ADF and #HTML5, by #lucasjellema @oracleace
Jan 14, 2015 at 08:26 AM
- 3 Sessions on Integration and Open Source, part of OTN Virtual Tech Summit Middleware track, Feb 11.
Jan 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM
- #WebLogic Server and the Oracle #Maven Repository, by @buttso
Jan 13, 2015 at 02:59 PM
- Podcast: #Microservices roundtable w/ @sbernhardt @attermr @lonnekedikmans?@ewolff #soa
Jan 19, 2015 at 09:50 AM
- Video: Clone an Existing #WebLogic Domain, from @OracleLL
Jan 15, 2015 at 10:05 AM
- Real-World Testing for Scalable Applications, by @MikaelFries - OTN Tech Summit Middleware track Feb 11 Jan 19, 2015 at 03:00 PM
- Video: Real Time BI with Kevin & Stewart: Ep 024 covers BIWA with @dvlamis and @m4315v
Jan 13, 2015 at 03:17 PM
- The ArchBeat Blog has moved!
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - February 23-29, 2016
- 2 Minute Tech Tips Videos - Weekly Top 10 - February 22-28, 2016
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Posts - February 19-25, 2016.
- At-a-Glance Guide to the OTN Virtual Technology Summit
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - February 17-22, 2016
- 2 Minute Tech Tips Videos - Weekly Top 10 - February 15-21, 2016
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Tech Posts - February 12-18, 2016
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - February 9-15, 2016
- 2 Minute Tech Tips Videos - Weekly Top 10 - February 8-14, 2016