Friday Jun 19, 2015
Thursday Feb 28, 2013
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 28, 2013
This week the OTN ArchBeat Podcast kicks off a three-part series that focuses on strategies for meeting the challenges facing Enterprise IT in an evolving business landscape. My guests for this program are three members of Oracle's Enterprise Architecture Team:
- Bob Hensle is Director of Oracle’s Technology Business Group
- Ronald Mayfield is an Oracle enterprise architect
- Timothy Brown is a principal Oracle architecture consultant
- Listen to Part 1: This segment offers an update of IT Strategies from Oracle (ITSO), an extensive collection of reference architectures, practitioner guides and other useful documentation created by members of Oracle’s Enterprise Architecture Team, and takes a look at how the information from ITSO was implemented at one company.
- Listen to Part 2: Part two offers a look at how another company implemented architectures and practices from the ITSO library, and examines chief concerns among organizations in the face of rapidly evolving enterprise IT.
- Listen to Part 3: The conversation about how organizations are dealing with changes in enterprise IT continues with a look at how those same changes are affecting IT roles, and what you can do to remain relevant.
Want to get you hands on documents from the IT Strategies from Oracle Library? Click here. If you're a registered OTN member, just use your OTN SSO credentials to login to access the material. If your not an OTN member, just complete the registration form to gain access to the ITSO Library.
The next OTN ArchBeat Podcast features another virtual architect meet-up -- an open conversation among a panel of architects about whatever topics are on their minds. Want to suggest a topic? Want to participate in the panel? Drop me a line in the comments sections.
Change of plans! The next OTN ArchBeat podcast will feature a panel discussion about the increasing importance of Customer Experience (CX) in enterprise IT.
Stay tuned: RSS
Thursday Apr 12, 2012
Tuesday Apr 10, 2012
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Apr 10, 2012
Nine documents within the IT Strategies from Oracle (ITSO) reference library have recently been updated. (Access to the ITSO collection is free to registered Oracle.com members -- and that membership is free.)
All nine documents fall within the Service Oriented Architecture section of the ITSO collection, and cover the following topics:
SOA Practitioner Guides
- Creating an SOA Roadmap (PDF, 54 pages, published: February 2012)
The secret to successful SOA is to build a roadmap that can be successfully executed. SOA offers an opportunity to adopt an iterative technique to deliver solutions incrementally. This document offers a structured, iterative methodology to help you stay focused on business results, mitigate technology and organizational risk, and deliver successful SOA projects.
- A Framework for SOA Governance (PDF, 58 pages, published: February 2012)
Successful SOA requires a strong governance strategy that designs-in measurement, management, and enforcement procedures. Enterprise SOA adoption introduces new assets, processes, technologies, standards, roles, etc. which require application of appropriate governance policies and procedures. This document offers a framework for defining and building a proper SOA governance model.
- Determining ROI of SOA through Reuse (PDF, 28 pages, published: February 2012)
SOA offers the opportunity to save millions of dollars annually through reuse. Sharing common services intuitively reduces workload, increases developer productivity, and decreases maintenance costs. This document provides an approach for estimating the reuse value of the various software assets contained in a typical portfolio.
- Identifying and Discovering Services (PDF, 64 pages, published: March 2012) What services should we build? How can we promote the reuse of existing services? A sound approach to answer these questions is a primary measure for the success of a SOA initiative. This document describes a pragmatic approach for collecting the necessary information for identifying proper services and facilitating service reuse.
- Software Engineering in an SOA Environment (PDF, 66 pages, published: March 2012) Traditional software delivery methods are too narrowly focused and need to be adjusted to enable SOA. This document describes an engineering approach for delivering projects within an SOA environment. It identifies the unique software engineering challenges faced by enterprises adopting SOA and provides a framework to remove the hurdles and improve the efficiency of the SOA initiative.
SOA Reference Architectures
- SOA Foundation (PDF, 70 pages, published: February 2012) This document describes they key tenets for SOA design, development, and execution environments. Topics include: service definition, service layering, service types, the service model, composite applications, invocation patterns, and standards.
- SOA Infrastructure (PDF, 86 pages, published: February 2012) Properly architected, SOA provides a robust and manageable infrastructure that enables faster solution delivery. This document describes the role of infrastructure and its capabilities. Topics include: logical architecture, deployment views, and Oracle product mapping.
SOA White Papers and Data Sheets
- Oracle's Approach to SOA (white paper) (PDF, 14 pages, published: February 2012)
Oracle has developed a pragmatic, holistic approach, based on years of experience with numerous companies to help customers successfully adopt SOA and realize measureable business benefits. This executive datasheet and whitepaper describe Oracle's proven approach to SOA.
- Oracle's Approach to SOA (data sheet) (PDF, 3 pages, published: March 2012)
SOA adoption is complex and success is far from assured. This is why Oracle has developed a pragmatic, holistic approach, based on years of experience with numerous companies, to help customers successfully adopt SOA and realize measurable business benefits. This data sheet provides an executive overview of Oracle's proven approach to SOA.
Tuesday Nov 01, 2011
Thursday Feb 10, 2011
By Bob Rhubart-Oracle on Feb 10, 2011
The latest ArchBeat Podcast (RSS) features a conversation with Oracle Enterprise Architecture director Bob Hensle (LinkedIn). Bob talks about IT Strategies from Oracle, an extensive library of reference architectures, best practices, and other documents now available (it’s a freebie!) to registered Oracle Technology Network members.
- Listen to Part 1
Bob offers some background on the IT Strategies from Oracle project and an overview of the included documents.
- Listen to Part 2
A discussion of how SOA and other issues are reflected in the IT Strategies documents.
Share your feedback on any of the documents in the IT Strategies from Oracle Library: ITS_FEEDBACK_WW@oracle.com
For a nice complement to the IT Strategies from Oracle Library, check out Oracle Experiences in Enterprise Architecture, an ongoing series of short essays from members of the Oracle Enterprise Architecture team based on their field experience.
In the Pipeline
ArchBeat programs in the works include an interview with Dr. Frank Munz, the author of Middleware and Cloud Computing, excerpts from another architect virtual meet-up, and a conversation with Oracle ACE Director Debra Lilley about her insight into Fusion Applications. .
Stayed tuned: RSS
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - Sep 29 - Oct 5, 2015
- 2 Minute Tech Tip Videos: Weekly Top 10
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Posts for September 25-October 1, 2015
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - September 22-28, 2015
- 2 Minute Tech Tips: Weekly Top 10
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Posts for September 18-24, 2015
- Video: Four Questions on the Oracle Integration Cloud Service
- Enteprise Architecture Summit at OpenWorld
- Twitter Tuesday: Top 10 Tweets - September 15-21, 2015
- Facebook Friday: Top Ten Posts for September 11-17, 2015