ArchBeat Link-o-Rama for 2012-03-07
By OTN ArchBeat on Mar 07, 2012
- Development Debate Wrap-up; Large Scale Transformations; Creating Architecture
Featured this week on the OTN Architect homepage, along with an updated events list, links to product downloads, and the usual collection of resources by and for software architects.
- Webcast: Simplify Oracle RAC Deployment with Oracle VM
Tuesday March 20, 2012 - 9am PT / Noon ET
Learn how you can:
- Deploy an Oracle (RAC) Database environment in minutes with Oracle VM templates
- Create, deploy or convert existing systems into highly available cluster environments
- Instantly respond to changing demand by relocating resources between servers
- Ronen Kofman – Product Management Director, Oracle
- Markus Michalewicz – Senior Principal Product Manager, Oracle
- Custom Portal Lifecycle Series (3b-4) | Martin Deh
The latest entry in Martin Deh's WebCenter Custom Portal Lifecycle series focuses on a typical run-time development process.
- Oracle WebCenter Interaction: What’s New in 10gR4 (10.3.3) Release | Igor Polyakov
"This is a significant feature-bearing release that is based on WCI/ALUI/Plumtree portal architecture," says Polyakov.
- Introducing JSR 357: Social Media API | The Aquarium
This is a JSR to define an "API for accessing social information networks, both Public (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Xing, Yammer,...) and Corporate."
- New 7420 hardware released today | Steve Tunstall
"You can now get 10-core CPUs in your 7420, allowing you to have 40 cores in each controller," says Steve Tunstall. "Even better, you can now also go to a huge 1TB of DRAM for your L1ARC in each controller, using the new 16GB DRAM modules." All that and a price drop.
- WebCast: Cisco's Platform Approach to Identity Management
March 14, 2012. 10 am PT / 1 pm ET.
Michael Neuenschwander hosts a live, online interview with Cisco Security Architect Ranjan Jain to discuss the drivers, challenges and merits of the Platform approach to Identity Management.
- Oracle Fusion Middleware Community Forum Event Follow-Up
More than 200 people attended the live event. If you weren't one of them, no worries. You'll find presentations from all three tracks here, plus additional resources.
- Oracle announces SOA Suite 11g R1(188.8.131.52.0) Healthcare Add On | Suresh Sharma
Suresh Sharma shares highlights.
- The Maturity of a Service-Oriented Architecture | Douwe Pieter van den Bos
"SOA isn’t something we achieve overnight," says Douwe Pieter van den Bos. "This is a large challenge, not only for architecture or applications, but for the entire stack of operations and decisions. It’s time to grow up."
- Webcast: Top 10 Tips to Accelerate Oracle VM Deployments
Wednesday March 7, 2012 - 9:00am PT \ Noon ET
- Adam Hawley, Senior Director for Oracle Desktop and Server Virtualization Product Management
- Greg King, Senior Member of the Technical Staff, Oracle VM Best Practices Engineering
- White Paper: An Architect’s Guide to Big Data | Dr. Helen Sun, Peter Heller
Planning a Big Data architecture is not about understanding just what is different. It’s also about how to integrate what’s new to what you already have – from database-and-BI infrastructure to IT tools, and end user applications.
Thought for the Day
"Architect: Someone who knows the difference between that which could be done and that which should be done."
— Larry McVoy