By OTN ArchBeat on Jun 14, 2013
The latest OTN ArchBeat Podcast represents something of an experiment in that the discussion topic and the panelists were selected by a community member, rather than by me. That community member is Oracle ACE Director Ron Batra, director of product development, product management, and cloud computing at AT&T.
Ron wanted to explore the effect DevOps, cloud computing and other trends are having on established IT roles and responsibilities. Here's how he frames the discussion:
“Where is the industry headed? Are developers going to be operational people? Or will operational people become full programmers of a sophisticated degree, and just manage everything virtually? Or will developers need to do what the sysdadmin does, minus the heavy infrastructure lifting, and be watching out for the software layer, the operational layer, as well as the application logic?”
For the panel, Ron selected Oracle ACE Director Basheer Khan, an IT architect with Innowave Software, and Oracle ACE Director Cary Millsap, a software performance analyst with Method R Corporation.
- Listen to Part 1: DevOps and cloud computing are changing the IT industry — and changing IT roles. The panel discusses what’s happening and how it might affect your job.
- Listen to Part 2: Automation and innovation had a huge impact on the manufacturing jobs of years gone by. Is something similar happening to some IT jobs?
- Listen to Part 3: In 2003 Nicholas Carr said “IT doesn’t matter.” In 2013 and beyond, what IT roles will matter? Staying relevant may mean stepping out of your comfort zone.
Want to connect with the panelists for this discussion? You can!
Coming SoonUpcoming programs will focus on:
- The Oracle Fusion Middleware A-Team
- Data Warehousing and Oracle Data Integrator
- Java, Mobile, and more
Stay tuned: RSS