Oracle Analytics Cloud on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Gen 2 is available in all Universal Credit cloud tenancies and data centers. Oracle Analytics Cloud on Gen 2 first went live in 2019 and many of you are already enjoying the benefits. If you’re new to it, continue reading to learn about the exciting new administrative functionality offered with Oracle Analytics Cloud on Gen 2.
Features and Benefits of Oracle Analytics Cloud on Gen 2
Oracle Analytics Cloud on Gen 2 is built entirely on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Gen 2. It combines the market-leading cloud analytics capabilities of Oracle Analytics Cloud with the powerful service administration of Oracle Cloud.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console
- Delivers a seamless user experience with Oracle Cloud’s extensive service management ecosystem.
- Simplifies creating and managing Oracle Analytics Cloud instances.
- In Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Gen 2, you use compartments to organize and control access to all your cloud resources.
- Organize your Oracle Analytics Cloud instances into compartments. For example, create separate compartments for development, test, and production, so you can control who creates and manages instances by department.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Provides a rich permission model that gives users fine-grained access to Oracle Analytics Cloud instances. For example, manage (create, edit, move, ...) or view only.
- Enables you to grant view access to instances per compartment. For example, you can give users view access to development and test but not to production.
- Allows you to define keys and values, and then associate those tags with your cloud resources.
- Helps you organize and list resources based on your business needs, and lets you use tags in searches and in policies to assign access to tagged resources.
- Vanity URL
- Use your own vanity URL for Oracle Analytics Cloud, instead of the default URL that Oracle provides.
- Easy to configure.
- Public endpoint or Private endpoint
- Option to create your Oracle Analytics Cloud instance with a public internet accessible endpoint or restrict access through a private endpoint.
- Public endpoint: Optionally, restrict access through one or more access control rules.
- Private endpoint: Set up instances with private access only.
- Private access channel
- Connect easily to private data sources within your virtual cloud network (VCN) on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure or other networks peered to the VCN such as your corporate network.
- Direct and secure connectivity without the need for you to install an agent in-between, such as Remote Data Gateway.
- Customer-managed encryption
- Configure custom encryption keys for your Oracle Analytics Cloud instances or let Oracle manage data encryption for you.
- Use Vault services in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to create, manage, and store your encryption keys.
- Oracle Analytics Cloud instances
- REST API and Command Line Interface (CLI) capabilities
- Performance Monitoring and Metrics (coming soon)
- Integration with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure’s Monitoring service.
- View charts that show the percentage query capacity you’re using, and the number of connection requests that failed for each Oracle Analytics Cloud instance.
- Additional metrics planned too.
- Compartment Quotas
- Compartment quotas give better control over how resources are consumed in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, enabling administrators to easily allocate resources to compartments using the Console. For example, Oracle Analytics Cloud administrators can limit how many Oracle Analytics Cloud instances users can create in a compartment.
- Automating with Events
- You can automate actions based on state changes using event types, rules, and actions.
- For example, you might define a rule that sends a notification to administrators when someone deletes an Oracle Analytics Cloud instance.
How do I get Oracle Analytics Cloud on Gen 2?
Everyone with a Universal Credits subscription has access to Oracle Analytics Cloud on Gen 2.
You can create an Oracle Analytics Cloud instance on Gen 2 using the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console, REST API, or command line. See Create an Oracle Analytics Cloud Instance on Gen 2.
For information about Universal Credits, please contact your Oracle Representative.
What happens to my existing Oracle Analytics Cloud instances on Gen 1?
If you subscribe through Universal Credits, Oracle plans to upgrade all the Oracle Analytics Cloud instances that you created with Professional Edition or Enterprise Edition on Gen 1, to Gen 2. You’ll receive more details and a timeline well in advance of the upgrade.
The upgrade will not include Oracle Essbase. Oracle Essbase is available through Oracle Cloud Marketplace. For details, see Oracle Analytics Cloud - Essbase Statement of Direction.