X Changes in Nevada Build 35
By Alanc-Oracle on Mar 10, 2006
Not as much in this build as there was in build 34, but then almost everyone who works on the X source trees in Solaris was at the X.Org Developer's Conference for half of the two-week build cycle for build 35.
- 6303855 ATI driver performance is poor
- The ATI Rage XL chip in the Ultra 20 is not exactly a speed demon. Edward from our x86 team noticed that a big part of the slowness was due to reading back pixmaps across the PCI-33 bus from the VRAM and proposed a fix - you can see his fix in X.Org Bug Report #5867. (If you want a speed demon, the Ultra 20 is offered with a selection of nVidia Quadro cards.)
- 6358930 Japanese keyboard should work even if XkbModel/jp106 and XkbLayout/jp are specified in xorg.conf.
- A simple fix to our Japanese XKB rules from Sun's Japanese localization group to make non-Sun and Sun Japanese keyboards work the same way.
- 6385111 Xorg auto-configuration Improvement
- As Stuart talked about at the X Developer's Conference, one of our big projects in the X group at Sun is improving Xorg configuration, especially automatically detecting the correct hardware settings. This is one step in that process, improving monitor detection, as described in X.Org Bug Report #5892.