Part 1: Glassfish V3 Pet Catalog sample DEMO in VM Template - Preparation
By natiku on Dec 15, 2009
In this example I will DEMOnstrate creation of Evaluation type Virtual Appliance / VM Template which will leveradge OpenSolaris 200906 JeOS prototype and just in Dec/09 released Glassfish v3, Java EE 6 and Netbeans 6.8 with simple Java EE 6 demo. This entry is part of Virtual Appliances & OVF workshop.
New Glassfish V3 introduce an unique network repository based modular structure, so we can more easily create really simple initial DEMO setup which user can extend by installation more samples right from Glassfish V3 repository or from Netbeans GUI.
Preparation: Create basic Glassfish V3 VM Template outline
1. Learn more about VM Templates creation process
At beginning see Virtual Machine (VM) template technical design
My colleague, Gabor create a series of blog entries about high level 7 steps Virtual Templates creation process:
- VM template assembly process at glance
- VM template assembly details: Step 1 - Create JeOS Instance
- VM template assembly details: Step 2/3 - Add layered SW and template internals
- VM template assembly details: Step 4/5 - Clean-up and finalize the template
- VM template assembly details: Step 6/7 - Convert and compress the VM
2. Plan carefully VM Template content and audience.
My personal opinion is then main difference between simple VM Images like are this 10 Simple JeOS Usage Samples is then DEMO Evaluation Virtual Appliances / VM Templates are backed by design and audience target.
Glassfish V3 VM Template will be targeting MS Windows users of latest Netbeans 6.8 for Java developer platform allowing them to evaluate advantages of Glassfish V3 / Java EE installation in OpenSolaris distributed in form of VM template , utilizing simple Pet Store Java EE6 on MySQL in Netbeans project as sample. Documentation with samples will be provide how to user can easily install more samples.
Also in addition all Glassfish V3 VM Template creation steps will be documented to map whole overall process.
3. Check if all panned to use products are FOSS based (Can be freely redistributed and modified)
Evaluation type Virtual Appliance / VM Template will have best chances to reach wide audience, if they can be freely distributed even with additional customizations.
So it's a good practice to prefer FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)] during Evaluation type Virtual Appliance / VM Template creation process when you plan targeting wide audience.
All SW I planned to use in this sample is released under FOSS compatible License(s).