Wednesday Apr 03, 2013
Friday Dec 09, 2011
By Ted Henson on Dec 09, 2011
The documentation team has created a new UPK 11 Online Documentation Library. This new library is available now on Oracle Technology Network (OTN). This new library provides a comprehensive onlne resource for all of your UPK documentation needs for UPK/UPK Professional. For those of you who are familiar with Simulation help, you will also find hundreds of simulations in this content demonstrating how to effectively use the Developer and Knowledge Center components of the product. This new library is published to the UPK Player format, so you can take advantage of the new features introduced in UPK 11 such as the Share feature and See Also links.
This content also provides useful links to additional resources such as the Getting Started content, Technical Specifications, the UPK Blog, and the UPK Resource Library.
You can access the UPK 11 Online Documentation Library at any time using the following URLs:
- UPK Documentation Launch Page:
- UPK 11 Online Documentation Library Direct Launch: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E26761_01/PlayerPackage/index.html
We recomend that you add these links as favorites or bookmarks in your browser for quick access.
The following link to a short one-question survey is provided so you can tell us what you think of the new documentation library. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GPFXZ2Q
You can also access the survey from the feedback section within the online documentation library.
As always, we appreciate your valuable feedback on the UPK documentation so we can best meet your needs.
Wednesday Aug 24, 2011
By Ted Henson on Aug 24, 2011
Caution: You must upgrade existing Knowledge Pathways installations. You cannot convert content to a new Knowledge Center installation.
Refer the Upgrade manual for detailed instructions. Click here to access manuals
Use the existing Knowledge Pathways settings to ensure a seamless upgrade:
- When upgrading from Knowledge Pathways to Knowledge Center change the wizard's default entries to the existing values used for your current Knowledge Pathways installation:
- Typical changes are as follows:
- The wizard default setting for the database is KMASTER. Change KMASTER to whatever your existing database setting. For example KPMASTER5. You can select the existing database from the drop-down list box.
- The wizard defaults to KContent, while most existing installations use KPContent.
- Typically Kdata needs to be Changed to KPdata
- The default launch URL is //servername/KCENTER. Most existing installations use //servername/KPATH50.
It is also recommend that you refere to Knowledge Base Article, ID. 1327397.1 before you begin your upgarde.
Wednesday Jun 15, 2011
By Ted Henson on Jun 15, 2011
Over time you may updated titles that may contain files or player packages that are no longer needed or are duplicates. In addition you may have accumulate titles that where created for test purposes or are no longer needed.
Below are some procedures you should use to clean things.
- Ensure that all users are logged off the system.
- Ensure there is a current backup of the KP database and KPContent folder. Restore both to ensure they restore properly.
- Open Designer and make sure that all titles are up to date. For example, if the title contains UPK content make sure the title is updated with the last published content.
- Select the Title AU and use Add/Update Content / Browse for Files to locate any old unused files and folders. In particular look for unused Player Packages. If there are multiple player packages, the easiest way to view their contents is to double-click the Index.html file in the right pane. This will allow you to review the contents of the package to determine if they are older versions that are not being used. To delete a Player Package, go to the level directly above the Player Package, e.g. Title Content\Language Delivery Common, select the Player Pack to be deleted in the right pane and press Ctrl+Delete. The same process may be used to remove unused files as well.
- Make any changes that are necessary in each title then save and republish the title.
- Determine if there are any titles that are no longer used/needed and can be deleted.
- Delete any unneeded titles.
Caution - Deleting a title will remove all tracking data associated to that title and cannot be undone.
- If a title cannot be deleted inDesigner, use Title Manager to remove the title(s).
The authors of this blog are members of the UPK product development, management, and marketing teams. On this blog, you'll find UPK news, tips/tricks, upcoming events, and general information on UPK - the easy-to-use, comprehensive content development, deployment, and maintenance platform for increasing project, program, and user productivity.
- UPK Specialization from the Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN)
- Statement of Direction for Oracle User Productivity Kit (UPK) - December 2013
- UPK Webcast - Customer Focus: Knowledge Center Case Study
- UPK Forum, Planning your UPK Development Effort – August 2013
- FREE UPK Webcast - Examining a Comprehensive UPK Solution
- Free UPK Webcast: Support Your Entire ERP Project Lifecycle with Oracle UPK
- Additional PeopleSoft 9.2 UPK Pre-built Content Modules Now Available!
- Register Now! Free Webinar! Planning your UPK Development Effort
- Last Day for Oracle Open World Early Bird Discount!
- UPK in China!