UPK Goes Global - Minimize cost and time required for localization
By Kathryn Lustenberger-Oracle on Aug 11, 2010
In this global economy, it's challenging to create localized system documentation and training materials to support users around the world. For organizations that provide global services and products or have locations around the world, localized content is very important. UPK has excellent capabilities to facilitate content translation, so content created in English, can be duplicated in French, Danish, or Japanese with less than half the effort of typical translation projects.
If applications are being rolled out in a native language, the screens and object names must be recaptured to reflect what an end user sees. Oracle User Productivity Kit assists content developers in the recapture process. When content has been recorded in one language, a content developer can use the re-record topic functionality to easily navigate through the topic that is displayed in another language. This visual guidance ensures a content developer does not have to be proficient in the new languages. This process also allows for flexibility during capture so that any localized business process differences are captured.
Oracle User Productivity Kit has also added the ability to export and import custom text to support translation. Once content has been translated, it can be imported back into the development environment and all translated text will be correctly placed in its original location.
The Developer localization flow involves four main steps:
- Create a duplicate of the existing content to be translated
- Re-record each topic to update screenshots, actions, and object names and apply the appropriate template for the target language to update template text
- Translate custom Developer text, including custom bubble text, web page text, link tooltips, and glossary terms
- Translate external content, such as package files and graphics, and relink these documents to the translated Developer content, if necessary; update glossary links
Oracle User Productivity Kit provides the text that is generated during recording (template text) in twenty-one languages.
Chinese (Simplified & Traditional)
*UPK Developer Languages
For additional information refer to the
- Kathryn Lustenberger, UPK Outbound Product Management