Reusing UPK publishing settings
By Maria Cozzolino on Mar 20, 2011
Recently, we had a conversation with a customer who wanted a way to reuse previously selected publishing options when they created a new publishing job. There is a feature in the software the supports making this easier...Import Settings. For those of you long-time UPK users, Import Settings replaced importing .xos/.pos files.
If you always publish your content to the same folder, you do not need to change anything. The publishing system reads the data from the specified location, and applies the same settings, so you don't have to select them again. However, if you publish to a new folder, the system uses the default settings from Tools/Options, and you need to select the publishing styles manually. This was configured in this manner so that you could choose to publish different styles or with different settings, as well as always use the same settings based on the content being published.
Here are the steps to override the default settings and use the settings from previously published content:
- Launch the publishing wizard.
- Show the Advanced Options screen.
- On the Advanced Options screen, click the "Import Settings" button.
- Browse to the folder that contains the settings you wish to use. The settings are stored in the PublishingProject.xml file that appears at the root of your publishing directory.
- Once you've selected the correct folder, choose OK.
- When you advance the next page of the wizard, you will notice there is a note in the top banner indicating which settings files are being used. You will see the publishing styles and settings selected based on the previously published content.
We'd be interested in hearing any feedback from you. Do you use this option...or will you use it, now that you know what it does? Or is it not necessary? We're always looking for ways to make it easier to perform various functions, so please feel free to add your comments.
~Maria Cozzolino, Manager of UPK Software Requirements and UI