By Mike Dietrich-Oracle on Jan 21, 2016
Puh ... I've got many mails over several months asking about the current status of certification of SuSE SLES12 for Oracle Database 22.214.171.124. It took a while - and I believe it was not in our hands. But anyhow ... finally ...
- SuSE Enterprise Linux SLES12 is now certified with Oracle Database 126.96.36.199
See Release Notes for additional package requirements
Minimum kernel version: 3.12.49-11-default
Mininum PATCHLEVEL: 1
- Edit CV_ASUME_DISTID=SUSE11 parameter in database/stage/cvu/cv/admin/cvu_config & grid/stage/cvu/cv/admin/cvu_config
- Apply Patch 20737462 to address CVU issues relating to lack of reference data
- Install libcap1 (libcap2 libraries are installed by default); i.e. libcap1-1.10-59.61.x86_64 & libcap1-32bit-1.10-59.61.x86_64
- ksh is replaced by mksh; e.g. mksh-50-2.13.x86_64
- libaio has been renamed to libaio1 (i.e. libaio1-0.3.109-17.15.x86_64); ensure that libaio1 is installed
Note: OUI may be invoked with -ignoreSysPreqs to temporarily workaround ongoing CVU check failures
I had a SuSE Linux running on my previous laptop as dual-boot for quite a while. And I still like SuSE way more than any other Linux distributions potentially because of the fact that it was the Linux I started developing some basic Unix skills. I picked up my first Linux at the S.u.S.E. "headquarters" near Fürth Hauptbahnhof in 1994. I used to live just a few kilometers away and the version 0.9 a friend had given to me on a bunch of 3.5'' floppies had a disk failure. I believe the entire package did cost DM 19,90 by then - today roughly 10 Euro when you don't consider inflation - and was distributed on floppy disks. The reason for me to buy it was simply that I had no clue about Linux - but SuSE had a book delivered with the distribution.
This is a distribution I had purchased later on as well - they've had good discounts for students by then.
Picture source: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux_distributions
PS: Updated with more recent information on 15-02-2016