By Mike Dietrich-Oracle on May 04, 2016
Are Bundle Patches (BPs) and Patch Set Updates (PSUs) cumulative?
That is a question sounding trivial to many people but actually it does get asked quite often. And sometimes I forget to mention this during the workshops - and luckily usually somebody asks the question reminding me to explain it.
Yes, Bundle Patches and Patch Set Updates (and of course Proactive Bundle Patches and Critical/Security Patch Updates (CPUs/SPUs) are all cumulative.
You'll find this mentioned in the first paragraph of MOS Note: 854428.1 - Patch Set Updates for Oracle Products:
Interesting note on the side:
I would have expected this important piece of information in MOS Note:1962125.1 - Oracle Database - Overview of Database Patch Delivery Methods but I couldn't find it. So it's no wonder why people ask such a trivial question ... [irony!]
Two simple examples:
- You have the October 2015 PSU applied
- You'd like to apply the April 2016 PSU on top
- Then you don't need the January 2016 PSU as it is included in the April 2016 PSU already
- You never applied a Procative Bundle Patch
- You'd like to apply the April 2016 Proactive Bundle because a guy recommended it on an Oracle blog - and actually MOS notes mention it as well as highly recommended
- You don't need to apply anything beforehand.
The April 2016 Proactive BP has all the fixes from all previous BPs included on top of Oracle Database 184.108.40.206.0
You'll find recent related postings on this blog here:
- Can I apply a BP on top of a PSU? Or vice versa? (May 3, 2016)
- Oracle April 2016 PSU and Proactive BPs are there (Apr 21, 2016)
- Oracle Database BP April 2016 applied successfully (Apr 21, 2016)
- MOS Note 1454618.1: Quick Reference to Database PSUs, CPUs, BPs and Patchsets (Apr 26, 2016)