By Mike Dietrich-Oracle on Feb 20, 2015
Can you downgrade your Oracle Restart installation from Oracle 12c back to Oracle 11g?
Actually there's no real direct downgrade supported for Oracle Restart. But of course there's a way to do it.
Basically it is:
- Deconfigure Oracle Restart in 12c
- Configure Oracle Restart in 11g
But wait a minute. It is very important to know if you have upgraded your database already. If that is the case then first you MUST downgrade your database(s) as you can't manage a higher version Oracle Database with a lower version Clusterware.
So first of all, please downgrade your Oracle database(s) first:
- Downgrade your database - if you haven't changed COMPATIBLE during the upgrade!
At the next stage you'll need to "downgrade" the Oracle Clusterware resp Grid Infrastructure for Oracle Restart:
Before you attempt this you'll need to deconfigure the Restart resources - and please be aware that here's a small difference in commands between Oracle 188.8.131.52 and Oracle 184.108.40.206.
This is from the documentation for Oracle 220.127.116.11:
- Deconfigure Oracle Restart:
- Log in as root
- # cd /u01/app/18.104.22.168/grid/crs/install
- # roothas.sh -deconfig -force
- Once this is complete you can now deinstall the Grid Infrastructure with the deinstall tool
- See the documentation
- Then you will need either to reinstall the previous - for instance Oracle 22.214.171.124 - Grid Infrastructure or - if it's still present on the machine - reconfigure it by running root.sh from the previous Clusterware's home
- And finally reconfigure the database(s) again with Clusterware
- $ srvctl downgrade database -d db-unique-name -o oraclehome -t to_version
In case you'd plan to do this exercise back from Oracle 126.96.36.199 instead then you'll have different steps to follow to deconfigure Oracle Restart 188.8.131.52:
- Deconfigure Oracle Restart 184.108.40.206
- # cd /u01/app/220.127.116.11/grid/crs/install
- # /u01/app/18.104.22.168/grid/perl/bin/perl /u01/app/22.214.171.124/grid/crs/install/roothas.pl -deconfig