By ThinGuy on Feb 12, 2008
I lost track of time today, perhaps all the hub-bub over the VirtualBox acquisition. It was about 4:45 PM and I realized I hadn't planned on anything for dinner. Panic sets in. A quick peek in the fridge showed little signs of hope, the pantry didn't help much either. Freezer time. Two pounds of 4% fat ground round, good deal but frozen solid. Into a sink full of hot water to start thawing. Spices looked interesting and I had that can of light coconut milk that has been staring at me since I bought it. I could never recall why I bought it, but there it was. And I had curry powder, two kinds actually. Your traditional curry and a red curry paste. OK, I can turn this into something good. But I needed to work fast, we eat like old people around these parts. Dinner at 5:30 PM is getting on the late side. I'm going to have to work with multiple pans. Stand back.
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Julienned
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Julienned
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
Start sautéing the veggies in a bit of olive oil. Keep your eye on them, don't let them get over done. Cook until the onions are just translucent.
- 2 Pounds of ground beef or cubed chicken breasts
- 1 14 Oz can of coconut milk (I used the lower fat "light" version)
- 2 Tablespoons of Red Curry Paste (found on the Asian Aisle)
- 2 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce (found on the Asian Aisle)
- 1 Tablespoon of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 Tablespoon of curry powder (found on the Asian Aisle)
In a medium sauce pan combine all the ingredients. Whisk together to ensure the aren't any clumps, bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer until the veggies and meat are finished.
Dump the meat on top of the veggies and pour the sauce over the meat. Serve over some brown rice.
Take that Rachel Ray! 30 Minute Meal? No, but remember my meat was frozen solid. 45 minutes, including photography and twitter. It turned out so good, I'm dreaming of tomorrows lunch of leftovers.