By Cwarticki-Oracle on Jul 12, 2012
I've found that Error Correction Policies are vital to understand regarding the subject of Product Lifecycle Management. Is there a central repository? Thanks in advance for your help.
The ECS policies that do exist are very valuable for our customers to understand Product Lifecycle Management. A good thing to remember is that the Lifetime Support Policy defines the "When" of product support. The ECS Policies define "How" those products are supported by Development. (LSP = When. ECS = How)
Basically, this means that Development doesn't keep each and every patchset codeline open and available for fixing. Customers must keep up to to date. A customer on 126.96.36.199 can't claim that they are supported because 11.2 is still in Premier Support. They must be on 188.8.131.52 or within what's known as the grace period.
Historically speaking the ECS Policy for Database has been around for over a decade. The ECS policy should be no surprise to DBA's nor Developers that have been using our products for a long time. EBS Development got on board just a couple of years ago with their own. Most other products, especially recent acquisitions, do not have them.
There is no repository of these policies. Some are footnoted in the Lifetime Support Policy, but there are only 2 major ones that I'm aware of in My Oracle Support
- Database, FMW, EM Grid Control, and OCS Software Error Correction Support Policy Note 209768.1
- Oracle E-Business Suite Error Correction Support Policy Note 1195034.1
There are some minor ones too.
- Error Correction Policy and Lifetime Support Policy FAQ for Oracle JRockit 5.0 and 6 - 1450360.1
- Error Correction Policy as it applies to Oracle WebLogic Portal (WLP) - 1308963.1
- OIM Lifetime Support and Error Correction Policy - 1372476.1
Others (there could be more)
- Siebel CRM Patching Policy 1313941.1
- Patch and Support Policies for Oracle Retail RPAS and RPAS-Based Applications 750841.1
- Oracle Retail Point Of Service (ORPOS) Product Suite Patch And Hotfix Release Policy 798177.1
There isn't one for Sun, that I'm aware of or found.