By seanharris on Nov 08, 2007
I was asked recently to compile a list of resources and information that was available on line globally (and the implication of the question was free of charge) that were available for developers using Sun technology to assist with learning, education and support. I though that the information might be of interest to others so I have posted it here. Anyone interested in this should also consider Sun Learning Services who provide a wide range of high quality training and certification course online and instructor lead around the world.
Information and Learning Resources
for Solaris and Java Developers
The two NEW centres provide introductory training for both Java developers and for Solaris Developers.
Some of the information is completely open and some requires the developer to register with the developer network. Registration for the developer network is free. The type of resources availabel includes on line training, FAQs, HowTos, early access code, free download of tools and software and examples. There are also a number of communities and discssion groups on specific products and technologies from which help can be obtained.
keynote sessions and also copies of all the presentations from the technical sessions. There are also multimedia versions of many of the technical sessions available to registered users of Sun Developer Network.
feedroom provides a wide variety of video sessions from Sun.
Also available are a number of podcasts.
- SDN Channel updates and information from the Sun Develloper Network
- Innovation @ Sun - New and emerging ideas and technologies from Sun.
- Level UP - For Java Games Developers
- Sun News Today - General news and updates on Sun, Sun's customers and Sun's products and technologies.
- Identity Management Buzz - Information on Sun's IDM products, indusrty news and more from Sun's IDm team
- N1 and Availability Software - Information on Grid, Virtualisation, Cluster and systems management.
- Java Mobility Podcast - Information for developers of Java for Consumer, Mobile and Embedded Applications
- The SDN Channel information and updates from the Sun Developer Network
- Brian Cantrill's - DTrace Blog - Brian is one of the Solaris Kernel engineers at Sun and is also one of the co-designers of DTrace
- The Aquarium - a Must for Java Enterprise Edition Developers
- Core Java
Technologies Tech Tips
- Java User Groups - There are various Java User Group communities around the world.
- Open Solaris User Groups - There are various Open Solaris User groups around the world including the London Open Solaris User Group aimed at Solaris Users, Solaris Developers and Contributors to Open Solaris.
- Sun User Groups - Aimed at commercial users of Sun Products and Technologies.
Open Source & CommunitiesMany of the open source collaboration sites offer documentation, community forums, FAQs and How-tos which can be invaluable sources of information and learning. There is a full list of Sun's Open Source projects on Sun's Website and some of the most popular sites for developers are listed below.
- CoolTools - A set of tools optimised for the Open SPARC platform that is using in the T1000/T2000 family of CoolThreads Servers.
- CoolStack - An optimised version of the Open Source web stack of Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP, Squid and TomCat tuned for the OpenSPARC and coolthreads platforms.
- Java.net - Collaboration site for the Java Community
- Open Solaris
- Open Office
- Open JDK - Home of the Open Source Java Standard Edition community.
- Glassfish - The Java Enterprise Edition and Application Server community
- Open DS - The Open Directory Server Project
- NetBeans - The open source developer tools
- Sun Grid
- Mobile and Embedded community - The open source project and cummunity for Java in consumer, mobile and embedded applications.
- OpenSPARC - The OpenSource of the T-series of SPARC microprocessors
- Open ESB - The Open Enterprise Service Bus project is an open source implementation of the JBI specification.
- Open Media Commons - Includiing Project DReaM this is an open source project to develop uncumbered solutions for digital media including digital rights management.
- Open SSO - An open source implementation of single sign on, access control, authentication and distributed idenity management.