Oracle SOA Suite Customer Schneider National CIO on Oracle cio2cio
By Bruce Tierney-Oracle on Feb 09, 2014
Schneider National CIO Judy Lemke talks with Oracle CIO Mark Sunday about the challenges Schneider National faced and how the company overcame them through a business-wide transformation. In 2007, Schneider National changed every process they had as part of project "Quest" to transform 20 year-old custom developed and integrated applications to "Future Proof" the infrastructure.
Ms. Lemke also describes the difference between a vendor and a partner and how Oracle played an important role in their successful transformation.
The video can be accessed here and the complete Schneider National Customer Transformation story is available as a detailed white paper at this link. Here is a quick summary of the background and key take-aways that highlight the unified difference in Oracle’s approach to integration:
Prior to the Transformation
- Complex applications and data environment at Schneider
- Expensive and time-consuming to maintain and evolve application integration
- Multiple order entry systems, multiple rating engines, several sources of customer information, no “single version of the truth”
- Launched a 5-year business transformation program – “Quest”
- Rationalize, simplify, and modernize enterprise IT applications and infrastructure
- Create a modular, flexible, expandable and scalable IT architecture for long-term strategic growth
- Core tenets: Common development environment, common runtime environment, and common management environment to standardize processes and tools
- Consolidated to a single core set of unified tools, providing a consistent programming model for developers
- Lower development and maintenance costs
- Over 200 application integrations
- Introduced re-usable enterprise web services such as TranportationOrder, Claims, Shipment, Account, AccountProfile, Location, Driver, Supplier and more.
- Real time tuning of data flow using 40 business rules
- Proven scalability to over 20 million messages per day
- Oracle B2B for EDI, part of Oracle SOA Suite, with over 900 trading partners and over 100 types of B2B documents