By Carolyn Cozart on Nov 12, 2013
Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) announces Final Rule: Section 503 Rehabilitation Act and Vietnam Era Veteran’s Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA)
On August 27, 2013, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) announced a Final Rule that makes changes to the regulations implementing:
• Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (Section 503) at 41 CFR Part 60-741. Section 503 prohibits federal contractors and subcontractors from discriminating in employment against individuals with disabilities (IWDs), and requires these employers to take affirmative action to recruit, hire, promote, and retain these individuals.
• The Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act, as amended (VEVRAA) at 41 CFR Part 60-300. VEVRAA prohibits federal contractors and subcontractors from discriminating in employment against protected veterans, and requires these employers to take affirmative action to recruit, hire, promote, and retain these veterans.
The Final Rule was published in the Federal Register on September 24, 2013, and becomes effective on March 24, 2014. The goal of these rules is to further clarify the requirements to effectively recruit, hire, promote and retain individuals with disabilities and Veterans.
We are currently in the process of analysis of this new legislation and its impacts to the business processes supported by PeopleSoft HCM. We are tracking the requirements and issues in the following BUG IDs:
• BUG 17456466 - WILL ORACLE BE ADDRESSING THE CHANGES RULED IN THE DOL VEVRAA SECTION 503 CH2. – This addresses the reporting for Disabled Employees
• BUG 17456416 - WILL ORACLE BE ADDRESSING THE CHANGES RULED IN THE DOL VEVRAA SECTION 503, 60-74 – This addresses the reporting for Disabled Applicants
• Bug 17510724 - OFCCP - VEVRAA & SECTION 503 - CHANGES REQUIRED FOR MARCH 24, 2014 - Veterans Information – This addresses the reporting for Veterans
While we understand the requirement to implement these changes by March 2014, as with any new legislation we need to understand fully what the requirements are and the impacts across all products in HCM to deliver a complete solution for our customers. A Position Statement outlining our strategy on this new legislation will be forthcoming and look to the BUG IDs for updates to the planned solution.
Highlights of the Final Rule can be found on the Department of Labor site: