N1 Service Provisioning System's Application Server Plugin
By bloggerprashanth on Oct 04, 2007
IntroductionMy earlier blog gave an overview with some scenarios about the Application Server Plugin for N1 Service Provisioning System. Here we will deep dive to see more about the Application Server Plugin.
Application Server PluginN1SPS Plugins in general are packaged solutions that uses plans and components and extends the provisioning capability of the product for a specific platform,application, or environment. Its easy way to provision the application. System administrators can easily deploy the applications using plugins. Application Server Plugin is one of them. With Application Server Plugin, the user will be able to provision the Application Server accross machines on different platforms and administer various components of the Application server (like the installation and configuration of Load Balancer, Node Agent, Clusters and Instances) and will also allow the management of Applications Deployment.
The above functionality is achieved with various tasks exposed in the Plugin and all these tasks are part of various sub catagories. Lets take a look at each of these categories.
Installation TasksThis task as shown below has various sub tasks which allow you to do the following
- Install: Allows you to install the Application Server bits on remote machines and different platforms read the section on supported platforms in Release notes.
- Install (markOnly): Allows you to configure an existing Application Server Installation for the Plugin to be able to recognize it and allow you to further configure.
- Uninstal: Allows the Uninstallation of Application Server bits from remote machines.
- Uninstall (markOnly): Allows you to remove the installation of Application Server from the sight Plugin, by not actually removing the bits of Application Server on the machine. This will be helpful when you are trying to remove the provisioning of Application Server on a machine but still want to provision other components on this Remote machine (like LB Plugin, HADB etc.,)
- View Installs: Shows the existing Application Server Installations that are currently being provisioned by N1SPS.
Infrastructure TasksInfrastructure tasks will allow you to manage various components related to Application Server and constitutes of the following sub tasks.
- Domain Admin Server(DAS): Allows to Create, Create (markOnly), Start, Stop, Delete and Delete(markOnly) the Domain on the specified set of Target hosts. It will also allow you to view the list of Domains installed.
- Node Agent: Allows to Create, Create (markOnly), Start, Stop, Delete and Delete(markOnly) the Node Agent on the specified set of Target hosts and associated to an existing DAS. It will also allow you to view the list of Node Agents installed.
- Stand-Alone Instance: Allows to Create, Create (markOnly), Start, Stop, Delete and Delete(markOnly) the Instance (non-Clustered or Stand-Alone) associated to an existing Node Agent. It will also allow you to view the list of stand-alone instances.
- Cluster Instance: Allows to Create, Create (markOnly), Start, Stop, Delete and Delete(markOnly) the Instance (Clustered) associated to an existing Cluster and a Node Agent. It will also allow you to view the list of Clustered instances.
- Cluster: Allows to Create, Create (markOnly), Start, Stop, Setup In-Memory Replication, Delete and Delete(markOnly) the Cluster associated to an existing Domain. It will also allow you to view the list of Clusters.
- Load Balancer Plugin: Allows you to install, install (markOnly), uninstall and uninstall (markOnly) the Load Balancer Plugin for Sun Java System Web Server 6.1 and 7.0 versions. You can also view the list of LB Plugin Installations.
- HADB: Allows you to install High Availability Database (HADB) on a Target host(s), its also required to associate this installation with an existing DAS. User can start and stop the HADB agent, uninstall and uninstall (markOnly) the HADB. It will also allow youto view the list of HADB's installed.
Allows you to deploy,undeploy, create and delete-reference an application to Cluster, Instance and even to a DAS.
Gives the ability to configure HA Persistence, Log Levels, Monitoring Levels, Heap Size, JVM Options, Password Aliases, LB and HADB.
Contains the asadmin task which allow user to run a customized asadmin command either as a local/remote command and as a component or an arbitrary command. This task can be used for anything (for ex. see how to configure heap size) which is supported by the asadmin CLI. This will be a handy task when you dont see the support from the built-in tasks of Application Server Plugin. Please see Sreeni's blog for more details about this task.