By Philippe Julio on Jun 06, 2008
I think that the Cloud Computing concept exists for several years but the technologies are now available and mature to be implemented in datacenter.
Cloud computing is a real business opportunity for service providers and outsourcing companies. They will be able to manage many datacenters across the world in different countries with lower total cost of ownership. According to me, Cloud Computing is the result of 2 major technologies, the Grid Computing and the Virtualization on servers, storage, network and desktop. Imagine many datacenters distributed in the world and managed as a unique resource. It is now possible in the real life with the new technologies !
The major difficulty for the Cloud computing is the infrastructure scablabilty distributed in any geographic points. If an application has need of more resources unavailable in one datacenter, the Cloud Computing must run simultaneously the application process on a second datacenter and so on.
Sun Value Proposition
- AMD, INTEL, CMT Processors blades in the same box
- Multi OS : Linux, Solaris, Windows
- High Performance Network Gigabit, 10G or Infiniband. Reduction of cabling with switch Magnum
- Sun Blade 6048 Modular System
- Sun Datacenter Switch 3456
- Sun StorageTek J4xxx
- Sun Storage 7000 Unified Storage System
- High Performance Storage (Lustre, pNFS, Sun Fire x4540 48TB, SAM-FS Archiving)
- Sun Studio 12 (for free)
- Sun Grid Engine (Open Source)
- Sun HPC Cluster Tools (OpenMPI)
- Hadoop : Distributed applications with high density of data
- MogileFS: File System with horizontal storage extension on unlimited number of machines
- Dynamic System Domains, Solaris Containers, VMWare, Microsoft Virtual Server
- Sun xVM Infrastructure with Sun xVM Server ( LDom, Xen) and Sun xVM Ops Center
- Solaris Cluster and Geo Cluster Edition
- Storage virtualization : Sun StorageTek 99xxV and Sun Virtual Tape Library, Solaris ZFS
- Sun Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Software
- VirtualBox (Client virtualization)