Quantum Corporation Accelerates Time to Market and Reduces Costs with Product Lifecycle Management Applications
By Kerrie Foy on Jan 09, 2012
This article is a reprint of the Quantum Corporation case study on the Oracle Customer Showcase. [Link]
Quantum Corporation is a proven global expert in data protection and big
data management that provides a unique combination of intelligent
storage solutions and unmatched value for traditional, virtual, and
cloud environments. These solutions include DXi®-Series disk-based
deduplication and replication systems for fast backup and restore,
Scalar® tape automation products for disaster recovery and long-term
data retention, StorNext® data management software and appliances for
high-performance file sharing and archiving, and vmPRO™ solutions for
protecting virtual machine data.
To accelerate product innovation and time to market for new storage products and upgrades, Quantum wished to upgrade its lifecycle management applications for streamlined engineering, production, and compliance processes, as well as enhanced collaboration with employees and partners. Quantum also looked to reduce development and production costs, improve information accessibility, and streamline compliance reporting.
After reviewing various vendors, Quantum implemented Oracle’s Agile product lifecycle management applications and granted access to approximately 1,500 users. With the implementation, Quantum reduced engineering and production change time from weeks to days or hours. The company also reduced costs by minimizing order cancellations or inventory issues as well as enhancing employee and partner collaboration for engineering and manufacturing processes. Finally, Quantum used Agile Product Governance and Compliance to respond to customer and governmental reporting requirements and to maintain an information library.
- Accelerate product innovation and time to market for new storage products and upgrades, such as deduplication and replication systems, and optimize patent value in the competitive data storage market
- Reduce development and production costs to meet market requirements and handle increasing global data volumes, as well as capture a competitive edge
- Increase scalability in product lifecycle management capabilities and enhance engineering collaboration with partners and employees
- Streamline and accelerate compliance reporting required by customers and regulatory organizations, such as U.S. customs and trade regulations
- Improve information accessibility for employees, administrators, and partners
- Deployed Oracle’s Agile
product lifecycle management applications to approximately 1,500 users
to streamline engineering, production, and compliance processes, enhance
collaboration, and accelerate product time to market. The applications include Agile Product Collaboration, Agile Product Quality Management, and Agile Product Governance & Compliance.
- Accelerated engineering and production changes—with changes that used to take weeks, now taking only days or hours
- Reduced costs with improved employee and partner collaboration for engineering and manufacturing processes
- Decreased order cancellation and inventory issue costs as data can be shared quickly with production facilities
- Implemented Oracle’s Agile Product Governance and Compliance to enable the company to respond to customer and governmental reporting requirements regarding product content and to maintain a library of this information
- Integrated the company’s Agile and Oracle E-Business Suite applications to eliminate time-consuming, manual data reentry and reduce the errors and costs associated with rekeying data
A word from Quantum Corporation
“Oracle Agile product lifecycle management applications enable us to collaborate and communicate globally with employees and partners. With the implementation, we acquired enhanced information-sharing capabilities to accelerate time to market, improve reporting capabilities, and reduce costs.” – Daniel Hartley, Product Lifecycle Management Applications Manager, Quantum Corporation