Durable UI Configuration Framework
By B Shashikumar on Jul 26, 2012
With Oracle Identity Management 11gR2, Oracle is now delivering a Durable UI Configuration Framework as part of its Identity Governance solution stack. This is a browser based UI customization framework which offers two new powerful capabilities to dramatically simplify UI customization.
- Sandboxing: Customers can make custom UI changes within a sandbox so that it doesn’t impact their production environment. They can stage and test their changes without affecting production users.
- 'Declarative model for customization: UI Customizations are encapsulated in a metadata format so customers can implement changes without any coding whatsoever. So as customers upgrade they do not have to worry about major upgrades breaking customizations already in place which could otherwise result in them re-investing or redoing expensive customization projects. So this completely eliminates the ongoing cost of maintenance.
This offers several compelling benefits to organizations:
· Ease of Customization; The Durable UI Config Framework makes it extremely easy to customize the user interface. So things like changing the solution branding become extremely simple - as simple as a user clicking on the logo to change it. Users can select any html element such as a header or an image or a form field or a navigation item and so on to customize it inline within the page without the hassle of writing any custom code.
· Eliminates Custom UI Development Costs: This eliminates the costs and complexity of customization projects. Customers do not have to spend thousands of dollars in writing custom code. Even for advanced customization tasks, customers can edit the standard JSF within the page without having to go through a development program to customize.
· Simplifies Lifecycle Management for Custom UI: This drastically simplifies the lifecycle management problem. With the Durable UI Config the customizations survive patches and upgrades so customers do not have to worry about rewriting, re-testing and redeploying complex customizations.
· Tighter Integration between Governance solutions and Portal Strategies: Finally, we offer tight integration between governance solutions and customer portals. For instance, home page regions can be exposed as portlets that can be embedded in any portal – a lot of customers embed password reset region in a corporate self-service ( not IDM self service) portal). Similarly portlets developed elsewhere can be integrated into the User Provisioning and Self Service UI
For more information about Oracle Identity Governance products, visit our website at http://www.oracle.com/us/products/middleware/identity-management/governance/overview/index.html