Which Type of Virtualization Should I Use?
By RickRamsey-Oracle on Apr 14, 2014
I routinely ask techies which type of virtualization they'd recommend for which type of job. I seldom get an answer as crystal clear as Brian Bream's.
with Brian Bream, CTO Collier IT
Oracle's portfolio of virtualization technologies includes Oracle VM Server for x86, Oracle VM Server for SPARC (previously known as LDOMS), and Oracle Solaris Zones, among others. Brian Bream provides a crystal clear technical overview of their differences and examples of what you would use them to do to. After you listen to the recording, which is about 5 minutes long, you'll understand why Brian was selected Instructor of the Year for both Oracle University and Sun Microsystems University before that.
More Resources About Virtualization
Here's an 8-part series about Oracle virtualization products written by Detlef Drewanz and Lenz Grimmer that might also be helpful:
- Part 1 - The Role of Oracle VM Server for SPARC in a Virtualization Strategy
- Part 2 - The Role of Oracle VM Server for x86 in a Virtualization Strategy
- Part 3 - The Role of Oracle Solaris Zones and Linux Containers in a Virtualization Strategy
- Part 4 - Resource Management as an Enabling Technology for Virtualization
- Part 5 - Network Virtualization and Network Resource Management
- Part 6 - Oracle VM VirtualBox - Personal Desktop Virtualization
- Part 7 - The Role of Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in a Virtualization Strategy
- Part 8 - Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center as a Management Tool for Virtualization
About the Photograph
Photograph of Vaillancourt Fountain in San Francisco taken by Rick Ramsey, April 2014.