Yay! Oracle Solaris 11.1 Is Here!
By RickRamsey-Oracle on Oct 25, 2012
Even the critters are happy.
This is no cosmetic release. It's got TONS of new stuff for both system admins and system developers. In the coming weeks and months I'll highlight specific new capabilities, but for now, here are a few resources to get you started.
Describes enhancements for sysadmins in:
- System configuration
- Security and Compliance
- Data management
- Kernel/platform support
- Network drivers
- User environment
And for system developers:
- Preflight Applications Checker
- Oracle ExaStack Labs (available to Oracle Partner Network Gold-level members for application certification)
- Oracle Solaris Studio
- Integrated Java Virtual Machine (JVM): Updates are now managed using the Image Packaging System (IPS)
- Migration guides and technology mapping tables for AIX, HP-UX and Red Hat Linux:
Free downloads for SPARC and x86 are available, along with instructions and tips for using the new repositories and Image Packaging System.
You can upgrade using either Oracle's official Solaris release repository or, if you have a support contract, the Support repository. Peter Dennis explains how.
Superbly written instructions from our dedicated cadre of world-renowned but woefully underpaid technical writers:
- Getting Started
- Installing, Booting, and Updating
- Establishing an Oracle Solaris Network
- Administering Essential Features
- Administering Network Services
- Securing the Operating System
- Monitoring and Tuning
- Creating and Using Virtual Environments
- Working with the Desktop
- Developing Applications
- Reference Manuals
- And more