Oracle Solaris 10 Still Rocks
By RickRamsey-Oracle on Feb 11, 2013
When it was launched back in 05, Oracle Solaris 10 rocked the IT world. I heard a rumor that Scott tried to launch it at a Rolling Stones concert, but apparently Mick Jagger didn't think operating systems were sexy.
Operating systems not sexy? Since when?
Well, Mick, when was the last time you released a new album? Oracle Solaris 10 released one last Friday, pal.
The new release is integrated with My Oracle Support. As a result, you can view the system configuration, asset inventory, and change history of your Solaris systems on the support portal, along with the results of the health checks that Oracle Support performs. (Kinda like letting a pregnant woman have access to continuous ultrasound via her cell phone, huh?)
This support will be available for Oracle Solaris 10 through 2018. After that, it will be supported through Oracle's Lifetime Support Policy.
There's plenty more:
- Support for new hardware and drivers
- Oracle Configuration Manager for improved health monitoring
- Live Upgrade Preflight Checker to highlight common issues likely to be experienced prior to a live upgrade
- Zones Preflight System Checker to identify any issues likely to be expected when applications are migrated from a physical or virtual system over to Oracle Solaris 10 or Oracle Solaris 11
- You can install from an iSCSI target
- Plus enhancements in networking, file systems, security, performance, freeware, and more