Updates to the Oracle Technology Network (Systems)
By RickRamsey-Oracle on Aug 19, 2010
picture courtesy of a Peruvian compadre of mine.
Here's a summary of the latest updates to the System Admin and Developer Community of OTN, plus posts to the OTN Garage on Facebook. Give me a shout if you have any other news to share.
New Technical Articles
How to use the security features of Solaris to combat intrusion and meet requirements for security, privacy, and worldwide internal auditing standards. Privileges, hardening, networking, virtualized environments, certifications, and more.
How to use the warm migration feature of the technology previously known as LDOMS to increase the availability of an Oracle Database 10g Release 2 single-instance database.
Best way to deploy Web 2.0 applications on Oracle Sun Servers and Open Source software. How to use the Olio web 2.0 toolkit to measure the performance and scalability of different deployment configurations so you can choose the best one before you deploy.
New Product Pages
Jimmy Huang, Kemer Thomson, and Vicky Hardman added four new server pages to the Product area.
- Oracle Sun Blade Systems
- Oracle Sun SPARC Enterprise Servers
- Oracle Sun x86 Servers
- Oracle Sun Netra Carrier-Grade Systems
New From The Community
- CIS releases new security benchmark for recent releases of Oracle Solaris 10.
- Recover from a crash during a zone attach, by Philip Torchinski
- Adam Leventhal's farewell blog.
- Animation video: life's little instruction manual.
- Developer's Guide to Open Source Software Licensing
- PC Magazine's Coverage of Fowler's Strategy Session
- Server Watch: Oracle Details Upcoming Solaris 11 Release
- Rossi-Stoner Laguna Seca 2008 Battle Highlights
- Brendan Gregg's Pet Pterodactyl
- Documentation for Oracle Sun Storage Tek SL8500 Modular Library System
- Find out when a user last logged in and out
Get the latest maintenance release of VirtualBox software, version 3.2.8. VirtualBox lets your system run several OS's simultaneously. Great for testing new features before implementing. See this list of 3.2.8 enhancements.
The Virtualbox Appliance image of Solaris 10 (10/09 release) is a great way to become familiar with the Solaris 10 OS inside the Virtualbox environment. The appliance image is free, and available in Open Virtual Format. Requires VirtualBox 3.0 and 5 GB free space.
For a limited time you can save 35% when you purchase the Sun System Administrator Library Self-Study CD course. Study for the certification exam on your own schedule. No travel required. To get the discount, contact your Oracle University Sales Rep and mention promotion code SSCD Promo 2.