Why Virtualized Platform is the best deployment option for Oracle Database Appliance
By Ravi.Sharma on Jan 24, 2014
Recently a user asked, what are the considerations for using the Virtualized Platform configuration or the Bare Metals configuration on Oracle Database Appliance? Certainly, the Virtualized Platform configuration seems to provide everything that the Bare Metals configuration does plus more.
Listed below are some of the considerations for why you may want to prefer to use the Oracle Database Appliance Virtualized Platform option.
1. A single hardware environment for deploying both database and applications
2. Database runs in a Virtual Machine (ODA_BASE) with direct access to storage (for native performance)
3. Control licensed CPUs by configuring ODA_BASE domain with the required number of CPU cores (and memory)
4. CPU cores (and memory) not assigned to the ODA_BASE domain are not wasted and are available for use by other, non-database Virtual Machiness
5. Oracle provided pre-configured VM application templates enable rapid deployment for both the database and applications
7. Use VLAN to provide separate networks to different Virtual Machines
8. Use shared repository to grow storage for VM repository
9. No VM expertise needed; Oracle Appliance Manager (oakcli) makes it easy to setup and manage the virtualized environment