Patch2 for NetBeans IDE 6.1 Now Available

A new patch for NetBeans IDE 6.1 is now available on the Update Center. The patch includes fixes in modules for BPEL, C/C++, Composite Application, Database, Editing Files, GlassFish, IDE Platform, JSF, Java, Java Debugger, Java Profiler, Mercurial, NetBeans 6.1, NetBeans Plugin Development, Platform, RESTful Web Services, Ruby, SOA, Spring Web MVC, Visual JSF, WSDL, Web Applications, Web Services, XML and Schema. The patch is available in English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese and Brazilian Portuguese languages. For more information, see NetBeans 6.1 Patches Info.

The NetBeans community asked for more frequent updates, and we're doing it. The timing and the number of fixes in a patch varies, but we're keeping up the pace with solid updates that benefit the community.

The update is easy to install when the NetBeans IDE is running. Just click on the globe in the status bar or go to Tools -> Plugins -> Updates tab, then follow the installation instructions.

The updates are also available in zipped format on SunSolve.

If you want to nominate more bugs to be included in future patches, just take a look at the wiki page.


Can you please take a look at the following?

Posted by Karthik on July 16, 2008 at 04:57 PM PDT #

Karthik, thank you for your response. I deleted the user directory and restarted the IDE but the problem persists. The only templates that show up are Ruby and Samples.

Install info:
Product Version: NetBeans IDE 6.1 (Build 200805300101)
Java: 1.6.0_06; Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 10.0-b22
System: Linux version 2.6.24-19-generic running on i386; UTF-8; en_CA (nb)
Userdir: /home/mike/.netbeans/6.1

Gnome version 2.22.2, ubuntu 8.04

Posted by george kaplan on July 17, 2008 at 12:36 AM PDT #

Note: This issue is also being discussed at:

In your message to nbusers, i noticed the following lines:
...Userdir: /home/mike/.netbeans/6.1
...Using rm -rf /user/home/mike/.netbeans

Is that a typo? Or did you try 'rm -rf /home/mike/.netbeans' (and not 'user/home/mike...)

Posted by Karthik on July 17, 2008 at 06:55 AM PDT #

Yes, you're correct. That was a typo in the email. I actually did maneuver to /home/mike/ and used the 'rm -rf' command there to remove .netbeans....

The problem remains. I really would like to resolve this because I do want to use NB but I have no idea how to fix this. Thanks Again.

Posted by george kaplan on July 17, 2008 at 10:04 AM PDT #

- I would like to confirm with you that you downloaded not just the ruby pack from but the 'All' pack. (Ruby pack would only include ruby modules. If you would like to do ruby and java/web development etc, you should click the 'download' button under the 'All' column.)

- You had mentioned that you had done several installs and reinstalls. Could you please do one more clean uninstall, as documented at and perform a new install? The blog entry also has a suggested directory structure that might prove useful.

- If after doing the above, you still run into the issue, please start a thread on nbusers mailing list attaching the ide log file (<userdir>/var/log/messages.log). Or you could post the log file somewhere and attach its URL in a reply to this blog comment.

Posted by Karthik on July 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM PDT #

Karthik, after doing the clean uninstall using, I downloaded and installed the All Pack as per the instructions in the links you provided. (I followed the recommended directory structure as well.)

Everything is working fine now. Thank you very, very much for helping me out with this. You're a genius and a saint! :)

I think what caused the problem with the last install is the fact I _did_ download and install the Ruby pack only. Prior to that, I had installed using ubuntu's "Add/Remove..." utility and the "Synaptic Package Handler." This may be what caused the problem because when I downloaded "" and installed from it everything went smoothly.

Posted by george kaplan on July 17, 2008 at 01:56 PM PDT #


I'm using netbeans 6.1 in Ubuntu and it work well, but if I try using Visual JSF it don't work very well.
I'm trying the official base tutorial to test the JSF, but when I try to insert the action code it don't work.

when I insert the code:

public String helloButton_action() {
String name = (String)nameField.getText();
helloText.setText("Hello, " + name + "!");
return null;
the IDE respond that the nameField don't exist.

If I try the same in windows xp all work well...
someone can help me to make netbeans well working also under ubuntu?


Posted by Cercatore on September 22, 2008 at 07:20 PM PDT #

Can you check out
and see if it helps?

Posted by Karthikeyan Rajeswaran on September 23, 2008 at 07:04 AM PDT #

Karthikeyan Rajeswaran, was correct.
Thank you for giving me the solution.


"Prior to NetBeans 6.1, whenever a component was placed on a page, a binding attribute was automatically created. For example, when a textfield component was placed on a page, a binding attribute called textfield1 by default, was created and associated with the component; the variable textfield1 can then be used to manipulate the component. However it was found that (1) many controls did not use it and (2) it caused bloat and slowed programs down. ..."

Posted by cercatore on September 23, 2008 at 10:22 PM PDT #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed

A blog for NetBeans users maintained by NetBeans Support team. For professional support, please check out Support Resources.


« June 2016