HowTo: Integrating MySQL for Visual Studio with Connector/Net
By Gab Martinez-Oracle on Jul 02, 2014
When developing applications with MySQL databases there are two basics products: a .net driver for MySQL, which is MySQL Connector/Net, and a tool to integrate all of the Visual Studio database oriented tools such as the Server Explorer window. These tools are designed to make a lot easier the creation and edition of MySQL databases when using an IDE like Visual Studio.
The MySQL for Visual Studio product can be integrated with Microsoft Visual Studio versions 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013. It can be used with any edition starting with Professional up to Ultimate . Also the MySQL Server versions that are fully supported are 5.1 to 5.6 and lately 5.7. Although 5.7 has a lot of performance improvements there are some new features that are not fully supported yet, so it should be used at your own discretion.
MySQL for Visual Studio has the following set of features:
- Server Explorer integration: Tools available to create, edit, query and backup any MySQL database.
- MySQL Editor: A MySQL script editor with intellisense and syntax coloring.
- MySQL Routine debugger: A fully Visual Studio integrated debugger that works with the same commands and facilities provided in the Visual Studio application debugger.
- MySQL Database Export tool: A GUI that eases the creation of a MySQL dump files inside Visual Studio.
- Entity Framework Designer supported: A new ADO.NET Entity Model can be created for any existing MySQL database or a MySQL database creation script can be generated from an existing Entity Model. Also it supports Entity Framework versions 5.0 and 6.0 with the respective Connector/Net driver.
- Web configuration tool: A quick and easy way to configure the MySQL web providers for any Web application that uses a MySQL database connection.
- MySQL toolbar: A toolbar inside the Visual Studio environment that contains the most common used features of this product, like Database Export, New MySQL Editor or Debug MySQL Routine.
- Web configuration tool.
- Entity Framework Designer.
The last version published of MySQL for Visual Studio is the 1.1.4 GA version and the 1.2.0 alpha version. A recommended pair would be MySQL for Visual Studio 1.1.4 and Connector/Net 6.8.3. Any of these versions can be downloaded from:
The following is a screenshot with some of the integration tools from the MySQL for Visual Studio product.
Integrating MySQL for Visual Studio and Connector/Net products is the best option when developing applications with Visual Studio and MySQL databases. Both products have a very good set of features that will make the development a lot easier and quicker.
Hope you found this information useful.
Happy MySQL/.Net coding!