During the weekend of January 31-February 1, 2015 we attended the biggest open source conference in Europe, FOSDEM 2015 in Brussels, Belgium. We got again great attendance from MySQL team from around the Europe with following talks in the MySQL & Friends dev. room on Sunday, Feb 1:
- Andrew Morgan, MySQL Product Manager from the UK talked about "NoSQL & SQL - the best from both words". See Andrew's blog including the slides.
- Norvald H. Ryeng, the MySQL Optimizer engineer, Norway with a talk on "Web Mapping with MySQL". Norvald also contributed to the other dev.room "Distributions" on "Upstream Downstream"
- Luis Soares, the Lead Software Engineer and MySQL Replication Team lead, Portugal had 2 talks in the MySQL & Friends dev.room:
- Zooming in on the New MySQL Group Replication Plugin
- The New MySQL Replication Features in MySQL 5.7 and Beyond
- Sveta Smirnova, the MySQL Senior Principal Support Engineer & an author of book "MySQL Troubleshooting" had 2 talks:
- Moving to the NoSQL side: MySQL JSON functions
- Performance Schema for MySQL Troubleshooting
MySQL & Friends Dev.room - Sunday, February 1st, 2015:
During Saturday we staffed the MySQL booth with a guest from Java team sharing the table with us. We got a several good questions on MySQL, JSON features, MySQL support, news and more. However we found out that the MySQL dolphins were even more popular than the boogie boots 2 years ago... almost all of them were out by end of Saturday's afternoon!
The evening on Saturday there was a MySQL & Friends community dinner organized by Percona. This evening event socializing and getting the MySQLers together starting to be a tradition at FOSDEM, but this time also with a MySQL 20 years anniversary celebration with a fantastic MySQL cake!!! Almost all 36 registered attendees stayed till 11pm when we cut the cake. Many thanks (especially to Liz Van Dijk who made the cake by herself) for all the effort with arranging this great dinner!
MySQL 20 years anniversary cake:
Liz cutting the cake: