By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Dec 01, 2015
Based in Italy, SERNAV Group was founded in 1989 and manages the complete cycle of marine transportation activities. The companies of the group handle shipping agents, customs operations, overland and nautical transportation of conventional goods & containers, storing, loading and unloading of containers as well as logistics and distribution.
- Modernize the customer application allowing the management of all necessary documents related to the different marine transportation activities of the SERNAV Group.
- Implement an enterprise-class infrastructure delivering the required performance, reliability and uptime while maintaining a low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- SERNAV hired the system integrator & Oracle partner Teleion to help them select, implement and manage the new infrastructure.
- Teleion recommended relying on MySQL Enterprise Edition in order to address the requirements for high performance, reliability & uptime as well as low TCO. Additionally, the SERNAV IT team would get access to powerful tools including the MySQL Enterprise Monitor and MySQL Enterprise Backup as well as advanced security features to help them effectively manage their infrastructure.
- In order to further reduce TCO and benefit from end-to-end technical support across the entire infrastructure, Oracle VM and Oracle Linux were selected. Oracle VM server virtualization is designed to enable rapid enterprise application deployment and simplify lifecycle management. Oracle Linux delivers extreme performance and is used in all x86-based Oracle Engineered Systems. Moreover, Oracle Linux allows customers to take advantage of features such as Ksplice and DTrace, respectively enabling zero-downtime kernel updates and allowing administrators to answer questions about the behaviour of the operating system and user programs in real time. The installation of the complete system was extremely fast and simple using the Oracle VM Template for MySQL Enterprise Edition, which provides a pre-installed and pre-configured virtualized MySQL Enterprise Edition software image running on Oracle Linux and Oracle VM, certified for production use.
- The MySQL-based application stores about one Terabyte (TB) of data. Replication is implemented between two different MySQL databases running in two geographically distant data centers to guard the company against natural disasters and other risks.
- Front-line technical support is delivered by Teleion, with back-end support provided by Oracle’s MySQL engineers. Oracle’s MySQL consultants have worked directly with the SERNAV IT team to help them get the most of the innovative MySQL features.
- Plans include the implementation of replication to a dedicated MySQL database for reporting and Business Intelligence (BI) purposes.
"MySQL is a very powerful database, and the MySQL Enterprise Edition management tools enable us to very effectively administer our environment." Gianluca Schiavina, IT Manager, SERNAV Group
"Our partnership with Oracle’s MySQL team is very successful. We receive all the support we need to deliver tremendous added value to our customers." Sergio Gallina, Sales Manager, Teleion