Tuesday Nov 24, 2015
Tuesday Nov 03, 2015
Friday Oct 23, 2015
By Matt Lord-Oracle on Oct 23, 2015
We're very happy to announce the general availability of the next release of Oracle Enterprise Manager for MySQL, version 188.8.131.52.0 (see the full changelog here). This is the official MySQL plugin for Enterprise Manager 12c, offering a fully supported and integrated solution that is included with your MySQL Enterprise Edition subscription.
What's New: MySQL 5.7 and Enterprise Server Plugin Support
With the new release you can:
- Monitor your new MySQL 5.7 instances and ensure that all of the amazing new features are being used optimally.
- Monitor MySQL Enterprise Firewall activity and protect your MySQL servers against database specific attacks and receive alerts when a potential security threat has been identified.
- Monitor and enforce MySQL Enterprise Audit usage across all of your MySQL servers, making it easy to ensure that your required corporate security policies are in place to satisfy regulatory compliance.
You can download the new version of the plugin from My Oracle Support and install it manually or you can simply install it directly from within Enterprise Manager. You can find the complete documentation here. If you have any questions or encounter any problems, please let us know by opening a support ticket or filing a bug report.
Thank you for using MySQL!
Thursday Oct 08, 2015
By Lenka Kasparova-Oracle on Oct 08, 2015
By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Oct 08, 2015
Willie Yao recently posted a very interesting blog: "How We Partitioned Airbnb’s Main Database in Two Weeks". He describes how Airbnb's engineering team leveraged MySQL Replication to save significant time in their effort to scale their databases:
"Heading into the 2015 summer travel season, the infrastructure team at Airbnb was hard at work scaling our databases to handle the expected record summer traffic. One particularly impactful project aimed to partition certain tables by application function onto their own database, which typically would require a significant engineering investment in the form of application layer changes, data migration, and robust testing to guarantee data consistency with minimal downtime. In an attempt to save weeks of engineering time, one of our brilliant engineers proposed the intriguing idea of leveraging MySQL replication to do the hard part of guaranteeing data consistency."...read the blog!
Wednesday Oct 07, 2015
By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Oct 07, 2015
MySQL Central @ OpenWorld is right around the corner!
My Schedule enables you to effectively plan your conference and reserve you seat in sessions. You’ll also get notified of potential updates. Go ahead and start by adding the keynote "MySQL’s State of the Dolphin & Customer Experiences" to your agenda now! Rich Mason, General Manager of the MySQL Global Business Unit, and Tomas Ulin, Vice President of MySQL Engineering, will review Oracle’s latest MySQL innovations and plans. You'll subsequently get the chance to hear from MySQL customers including General Electric, Pinterest and Ticketmaster/Live Nation Entertainment and discover why and how they rely on MySQL solutions.
MySQL Central @ OpenWorld includes over 50 conference sessions, tutorials, Birds-of-a Feather sessions and Hands-on Labs. Our "Focus On" page provides you with an overview of the sessions and their schedule. Add them to you agenda now using My Schedule!
Additionally, you’re invited to join the MySQL Community reception on Tuesday, October 27 at 7.00 pm to celebrate a year of MySQL anniversaries! Oracle OpenWorld attendees, members of local MySQL user groups, MySQL users in the Bay Area - you're all invited to Oracle’s MySQL Community Reception! RSVP today for a fun night.
We look forward to seeing you soon in San Francisco!
Not registered for Oracle OpenWorld yet? Register now to save $200 over the on-site price.
Thursday Sep 17, 2015
By Lenka Kasparova-Oracle on Sep 17, 2015
Since there are a couple of changes in the shows where you can find MySQL team, find below the updated information (updates to blog published in July 2015 & on September 23) about shows where you can find either MySQL Community Team directly or MySQL team experts. New shows are marked with NEW! updates are appropriately marked in green. See the list below:
- October 2015:
- NEW! Ohio LinuxFest 2015, Columbus, Ohio, US (October 2-3, 2015)
- Find our talk given by David Stokes, the MySQL Community Manager on “ MySQL’s NoSQL” scheduled for October 3rd, 2015 @15:00-16:00
- OpenSource Conference Fukuoka, Japan (October 3, 2015)
- Same as in the past Ryusuke Kajiyama will be talking about MySQL and you would be able to find us at the MySQL booth in the expo area.
- 2015 Open Technet Summit Fall, South Korea (date tbd)
- MySQL will have more probably a MySQL session secured on this event.
- PyCon India, Bangalore, India (October 3-4, 2015, Workshop on October 1)
- Find our MySQL team at the MySQL booth in expo area!
- NEW! Open Technet Summit, Seoul, Korea (October 16, 2015)
- Do not miss the MySQL talk on "Open source Database Deploy and Management in the Could” given by Sumi Ryu, the MySQL Sales Consultant for Asia Pacific & Japan.
- ZendCon 2015, Las Vegas, US (October 19-22, 2015)
- UPDATE: Do not miss Morgan Tocker's talk on MySQL 5.7 + JSON!
- All Things Open, Raleigh, NC, US (October 19-20, 2015)
- UPDATE: David Stokes, the MySQL Community Manager is giving a talk on “MySQL’s New secure by default installation” scheduled for Tuesday, October 20, 2015 @11:15am
- dbConf 2015, Hucisko, Cracow-Czestochowa Jura, Poland (October 23-25, 2015)
- Do not miss the talk given by Marcin Szalowitz on "What's new in the upcoming 5.7"
- WebTechCon/IPC, Munich, Germany (October 25-29, 2015)
- As tradition we will have a booth in the expo area.
- OOW & MySQL Central, San Francisco, CA, US (October 25-29, 2015)
- see more details at Planet MySQL in Bertrand's blog
- Do not forget to visit a huge MySQL Reception!
- NEW! Open Source Developer Conference (OSDC.au), Tasmania, Australia (October 27-29)
- Do not miss the talk on "4 Raspberry Pi + 1 MySQL Cluster. Really?" given by Ronen Baram, the MySQL Principal Sales Consultant.
- November 2015:
- MOSC - Malaysian Open Source Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (URL tbd), (November 4-6, 201)
- The True North PHP, Toronto, Canada (November 5-7, 2015)
- Find us as Community sponsor.
- UPDATE: Do not miss the talk given by Morgan Tocker, the MySQL Community Manager who will be talking on the “MySQL 5.7 + JSON”. This talk is scheduled for Friday, November 6, 2015 @ 15:45.
- NEW! OpenFest 2015, Sofia, Bulgaria (November 7-8, 2015)
- Do not miss the talk given by Georgi Kodinov, Senior Software Development Manager, on "MySQL Plugin Development" scheduled for Saturday, Nov 7 @12:00.
- All Your Base 2015, London, UK (November 13, 2015)
- Find us at MySQL booth!
- Madison PHP Conference, Madison, US (November 14, 2015)
- PHP[World], Washington, DC, US (November 16-20, 2015)
- Live 360, Orlando, FL, US (November 16-20, 2015)
- DOAG, Nuremberg, Germany (November 17-20, 2015)
- Find MySQL as part of the Oracle's booth in expo area
- Multiple MySQL talks have been accepted - check the DOAG schedule
- NEW! BGOUG, Pravets, Bulgaria (November 20-22, 2015)
- Do not miss a talk given by Georgi Kodinov, Senior Software Development Manager on "JSON support in MySQL 5.7".
- Forum PHP, Paris, France (November 23-24, 2015)
- Same as last year we are the Coffee Break sponsor at Forum PHP. Our MySQL staff will be ready around to talk to you!
- db tech showcase, Tokyo, Japan (url & date tbd)
- December 2015:
- JCConf, Taipei, Taiwan (December 4-5, 2015)
- Oracle & MySQL are Silver and Bronze sponsor with shared booth at JCConf Taiwan. Come to talk to us!
- Open Source Enterprise, Tokyo, Japan (December 4-5, 2015)
- Hopefully we wil get a MySQL talk accepted, for sure we are going to have a MySQL booth where you can find us!
- Tech15 UKOUG, Birmingham, UK (December 7-10, 2015)
- January 2016 (TBC):
- NEW! SkiPHP, Salt Lake City, UT, USA (January 14-15, 2016
- Southern California Linux Expo (ScaLE), Los Angeles, US (January 21-24, 2016)
- OpenSource Enteprise Osaka, Japan (January 29, 2016)
- FOSDEM 2016, Brussels, Belgium (January 30-31, 2016)
- February 2016 (TBC):
- NEW! PHP UK, Brewery, London, UK (February 18-19, 2016)
- March 2016 (TBC):
Wednesday Sep 16, 2015
By Lenka Kasparova-Oracle on Sep 16, 2015
We are more than happy to announce that MySQL Community Team attends one of the biggest events focused (not only) to web professionals, WebExpo 2015!!! This is the first time MySQL attends this conference even when it's 8th edition of WebExpo in Czech!
The event will be hold this weekend, Sep 19-20, 2015 in Prague, Czech Republic. For the MySQL Community team there will be Morgan Tocker & Lenka Kasparova attending and staffing the MySQL booth.
Do not miss Morgan's talk on "MySQL 5.7 + JSON" scheduled for Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 @ 12:00-12:40 in Divadlo ABC.
Check the program at conference webpage & come to talk to us!
Monday Sep 14, 2015
By Lenka Kasparova-Oracle on Sep 14, 2015
We are happy to announce another MySQL User Group meeting hold in Korea:
- Date: September 22, 2015
- Time: 19-21:00
- Place: Oracle Korea Office
- Proposed agenda:
- MySQL JSON - Youngha Kim, TimeGate (MUG member)
- MySQL Updates - Sumi Riu, Oracle MySQL Sales Consultant
Wednesday Aug 26, 2015
By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Aug 26, 2015
What is the best way to get a quick and complete overview of all MySQL sessions at Oracle OpenWorld?
Check out our new "Focus on MySQL Central @ OpenWorld" page. You'll find out about the keynote, conference sessions, tutorials, Birds-of-a-Feather sessions, Hands-On Labs and more...
The page will be updated within a couple of weeks to include the location and time of all sessions.
MySQL Central @ OpenWorld promises to be a very exciting event where you'll be able to learn about all the new MySQL developments & plans and discuss face to face with the engineers developing the MySQL solutions. You'll also have ample time to network with your peers to get new ideas and discuss best practices. Don’t miss this once a year opportunity, register now if you haven’t yet! The early bird discount has been extended until August 30.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Thursday Aug 20, 2015
By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Aug 20, 2015
Oracle’s MySQL team was very pleased to host a very successful MySQL Partner Advisory Forum earlier this month in Tokyo. Japanese partners got the opportunity to hear directly from Oracle’s MySQL executives, share best practices and network with their peers.
Rich Mason, SVP & General Manager of the MySQL Global Business Unit at Oracle, and Hiromasa Yazaki, Sr. Director of Sales in Japan, kicked off the event with a keynote address outlining Oracle’s MySQL strategy and sharing the latest news with Japanese partners. Juliana Castro, Business Development Director, subsequently dived into partner marketing and sales enablement topics.
Beyond the sessions a networking event was arranged, allowing partners to exchange with their peers as well as with Oracle’s MySQL team members. It was deemed extremely valuable by the attendees, sparking both new ideas and energy! Thank you to all partners who participated!
Tuesday Aug 18, 2015
By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Aug 18, 2015
A few months ago, I pointed to a very interesting blog by Marty Weiner, Engineering Manager at Pinterest.
Marty posted another great blog "Sharding Pinterest: How we scaled our MySQL fleet":
"This is a technical dive into how we split our data across many MySQL servers. We finished launching this sharding approach in early 2012, and it’s still the system we use today to store our core data.
...Pinterest is a discovery engine for everything that interests you. From a data perspective, Pinterest is the largest human curated interest graph in the world. There are more than 50 billion Pins that have been saved by Pinners onto one billion boards. People repin and like other Pins (roughly a shallow copy), follow other Pinners, boards and interests, and view a home feed of all the Pinners, boards and interests they follow. Great! Now make it scale!"
…Read Marty’s blog to find out about their experience and recommendations.
Thursday Aug 06, 2015
By Bertrand Matthelie-Oracle on Aug 06, 2015
We announced last month that the MySQL Central @ OpenWorld content catalog was live, and briefly touched upon our "State of the Dolphin & Customer Experiences" keynote. We’re now happy to provide more details.
During the first part, Rich Mason, General Manager of the MySQL Global Business Unit, and Tomas Ulin, Vice President of MySQL Engineering, will review Oracle’s latest innovations and plans.
For the second part, we will be very pleased to welcome on stage the following MySQL customers:
Olaniyi Oshinowo, MySQL & Open Source Technologies Leader at General Electric, will help you understand why they selected MySQL Cluster to power mission critical applications.
At Pinterest, MySQL is a mission-critical datastore containing tens of billions of boards, pins, users, comments, and much more. You will learn from Ernie Souhrada & Rob Wultsch, members of the database engineering team at Pinterest, how they manage hundreds of servers and a petabyte-scale data footprint.
Hari Tatrakal, Director, Database Services at Live Nation will discuss Ticketmaster’s evolution and how the combination of MySQL and Oracle Database solutions powers the ticketing ecosystem.
The keynote will take place on Monday, October 26 from 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm. Don't miss it!
Check out all the MySQL Central @ OpenWorld sessions and register now if you haven’t yet! You can still take advantage of the early bird discount until August 16.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Tuesday Jul 28, 2015
By Lenka Kasparova-Oracle on Jul 28, 2015
A couple of months ago the MySQL Community team announced a new award program called "MySQL 5.7 Community Contributor Award Program” where we wanted to identify & reward the most active community members / contributors / active bloggers from the MySQL community world. Below you can find a list of our current winners who met any of following criteria:
- The most active code contributor
- Bug reporter
- The most active MySQL blogger
- People who play very active role in translation/documentation of MySQL articles
- People who provide feedback on DMR releases, Labs releases, or change proposals
We printed a limited edition of “MySQL 5.7 Community Contributor” really nice polo t-shirts for this program.
It’s our pleasure to announce that following people were awarded - Congratulations to all!!!:
- Shahriyar Rzayev, the Azerbaijan MySQL User Group leader for reproducing bugs in MySQL 5.7
- Tsubasa Tanaka, the MySQL ACE for his very active role in the Japanese community
- Ichii Takashi for reproducing bugs in MySQL 5.7
- Peter Zaitsev for his active code contributions
- Clint Byrum for packaging work in Debian and Ubuntu
- Christian Hesse for his Workbench packages work
- Stewart Smith for his help with MySQL on POWER
- Jeremy Cole, the MySQL ACE for active blogging and bug reports
- Dmitry Smirnov for his Workbench packages work
- Konstantin Osipov, the Moscow MySQL User Group Leader for contributing multiple patches
- Edgar Knapp for reproducing bugs in MySQL 5.7
- Marc Trouwaert for reproducing bugs in MySQL 5.7
- Valeriy Kravchuk for active blogging and bug reports
- Giuseppe Maxia, the MySQL ACE Directorfor continual updating MySQL
- Daniel Van Eeden, the NL MySQL User Group Leader & MySQL ACE for his active role within the UG and active blogging
- Laurynas Biveinis for his active code contributions
- Shlomi Noach, the MySQL ACE for multiple suggestions on improving default configuration of MySQL 5.7
- Bill Karwin, the MySQL ACE for his useful feedback on the transition to script mode for MySQL 5.7
- Simon Mudd, the MySQL ACE & Madrid MySQL User Group Leader for contributing a lot of feedback & blogging
Thursday Jul 16, 2015
Get the latest updates on products, technology, news, events, webcasts, customers and more.
- Taiwan MySQL Community Event on December 19, 2015
- MUG Meetup Helsinki on MySQL 5.7
- Madrid MySQL User Group meeting on Nov 10
- Oracle Enterprise Manager for MySQL v3 Is Now Available!
- MySQL Central @ OpenWorld: Sessions from Users & Customers
- 15 years of MyNA - Japan MySQL User Group - Come to celebrate with us!
- Database Partitioning at Airbnb Leveraging MySQL Replication
- Plan Your MySQL Central @ OpenWorld Sessions with My Schedule
- October 2015 - March 2016 -> Events where you can find MySQL
- MySQL Community team at WebExpo 2015 in Prague!