Friday May 09, 2008
Monday Jul 09, 2007
By MortazaviBlog on Jul 09, 2007
More good PostgreSQL and open-source news!
The highlights are already given by Josh and Jignesh's blogs: Josh notes the importance of the results in proving the suitability of the Niagara architecture for DB applications and the importance of this result as a proof of SMP scalability. He also notes the significant price difference between Sun and the competition and looks forward to even better SMP performance by PostgreSQL database on Solaris. Jignesh gives some details regarding the DB tuning strategy used. If you want more of the tuning strategy details, you should probably leave him a comment.
Here's a summary of other highlights based on other sources:
- This is the second all open source SPECjAppServer2004 benchmark result and Sun is the only vendor to publish all open source results.
- It demonstrates Sun's commitment to use open source software at all levels of the stack -- including open source databases -- and to bring these price/performance benefits to users.
- An all-Sun, all open source stack comprised of PostgreSQL on Solaris (built off OpenSolaris) on T2000s (with OpenSPARC) with Glassfish gave 89% the performance at 34% the cost of a comparable HP benchmark with proprietary database, application server, and hardware. (Tom Daly provides further details regarding price-performance results.)
If you do not know about SpecJ 2004, refer to spec.org. In summary, SPECjAppServer2004 heavily exercises all parts of the underlying infrastructure that make up the application environment, including hardware, JVM software, database software, JDBC drivers, and the system network. The primary metric of the SPECjAppServer2004 benchmark is jAppServer Operations Per Second ("SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS") in either @Standard or @Distributed mode.
Look, also, at Tom Daly's blog for more information on these performance benchmarks and more.
Sun Fire X4200 (6 chips, 12 cores) 778.14 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard.
HP rx2660 (2 chips, 4 cores) 874.61 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard.
SPEC, SPECjAppServer reg tm of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation.
Results from www.spec.org as of 7/10/07.
- Oliver Williamson Wins the Nobel Prize in Economics
- LBL, Technology and Life
- At the Mount Whitney Summit
- More on Derby
- Advancing MySQL Open Development One Important Step Forward
- A Prize Well-Deserved
- ADO.Net Entity Framework on MySQL
- How a Differential Gear Works
- Clunkers and Financial Institutions
- Workbench 5.2 Alpha
- Adam Bosworth
- Bryan Cantrill
- David Edmondson
- Edward Felton
- Hinkmond Wong
- His Holiness, The Duke
- James C. Liu
- Lawrence Lessig
- Paul Rogers
- Philip Greenspun
- Richard Friedman
- Richard Sharples
- Roberto Chinnici
- Seyed Razavi
- Simple Signs
- Simson L. Garfinkel
- Tim Bray
- Yusuf Goolamabbas
- / Persian (فارسی)
- /Art (هنر)
- /Sun Microsystems Inc.