By Ludo on Jul 17, 2009
OpenDS is an LDAPv3 compliant Directory Service written entirely in Java. The 2.0 release has many new features since OpenDS 1.0 that was released a year ago:
• A graphical control panel that enables basic server and data administration is available and replaces the OpenDS 1.0 status-panel
• An administration connector manages all administration related traffic to the server. By separating user operations and administration operations, the administration connector ensure a better quality of service and simplify logging and monitotring
• Connections can be secured and encrypted with SASL mechanisms
• Access Control mechanism has been enhanced to control access based on the level of security of the connection
• The ;binary transfert option is now supported
• Standard schema files related to Solaris and OpenSolaris LDAP naming services are provided by default
• Setup and tools provide an enhanced support for the JCEKS keystore and alternate security providers
• A new mode for Multi-Master Replication providing greater consistency and availability of data: Assured Replication
• Recurring tasks allow an administrator to schedule repeated tasks such as backups
• New extensible matching rules and indexing allowing comparing, ordering of data according to specific locales and languages
• Better monitoring information for the server and for Replication
• Full compliance with RFC 4518 and matching of UTF-8 in attributes with a DirectoryString syntax
• VLV indexes are now built during the Import
• Works with IBM JVM (Java 6 SR4 required)
• Works by default with JConsole and VisualVM when JMX Connection Handler is enabled
• Default settings and ergonomics have been improved reducing the need for tuning parts of the server
• Greatly improved performances and stability over time of those performances
• Resolved a possible security issue when Pre-ReadEntry, Post-ReadEntry and Assertion Controls were enabled
OpenDS 2.0.0 is a promotion of OpenDS 2.0.0 Release Candidate 4, built with revision 5492, to the stable and finalized version.
It can be installed with the Java WebStart QuickSetup or downloaded as a Zip file.
A DSML-to-LDAP Gateway is available as a War file.
Like for previous OpenDS releases, a snapshot of the documentation wiki has been setup. The documentation is still being verified and a few links might not be functional yet. We expect it to be finalized by the end of next week.
You can find more information about OpenDS 2.0 in the release notes.
For a supported version of OpenDS, please check the Sun OpenDS Standard Edition 2.0 home page or get it directly from Sun Download Center.
I'd like to address a special thank to our external contributors who have helped making this release a better release, especially Christian Brennsteiner for the German translation of messages, Tosiki Iga for the Japanese translation, D.J Hagberg for the performance enhancements, Andy Wang for the IBM JVM Support.
Thanks also to all users who have raised issues during the development phase, helping us with testing the server in ways we can't.
This is a major milestone for the OpenDS project, but there is more to come... Make sure you check the Roadmap and you participate to it.