OpenDS 2.3.0-build001 is now available...
By Ludo on Jan 20, 2010
In December, the team had released OpenDS 2.2.0, a stable release of the LDAP directory server written for the Java platform. While the quality assurance team was testing and making sure the level of quality and reliability was there, the developers continued to add features on the trunk.
So today, I'm happy to announce the promotion of OpenDS 2.3.0-build001, the first development build on the path to OpenDS 2.4, a stable release currently planned for Summer 2010.
OpenDS 2.3.0-build001 is built from revision 6353 of our source tree and contains 2 major features :
- The import code has been refined to improve performances, especially with very large data set. Tests have been run with 1,000,000,000 entries and the file imported in about 40 hours.
- This version of OpenDS provides support for Subentries in LDAP [RFC 3672] and Collective Attributes for LDAP [RFC 3671]. In addition to the support of the Collective attribute standard, OpenDS supports a more user friendly notation, allowing to make use of Collective attribute definitions with standard attributes. More on this subject in a future article, although if you want to understand how to use it, Anton already wrote a description on the OpenDS Wiki.
These 2 features are just started to be seriously tested by the OpenDS team, so they cannot be considered as fully stable yet. There are already some issues being investigated, with the rebuild-index and verify-index commands. If you do find an issue with this OpenDS build, please report it in Issue Tracker.
The direct link to download the core server is: http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.3.0-build001/OpenDS-2.3.0-build001.zip
The direct link to download the DSML gateway is: http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.3.0-build001/OpenDS-2.3.0-build001-DSML.war
We have also updated the archive that may be used to install OpenDS via Java Web Start. You may launch that using the URL http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.3.0-build001/install/QuickSetup.jnlp, or visit https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/OverviewOfTheQuickSetupTool for more information.
Detailed information about this build is available at http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.3.0-build001, including the detailed change log
Major changes since OpenDS 2.2.0 include :
- Multiple improvements on the Control Panel and the Setup including display of equivalent command-line commands, cosmetic aspects, messages, referral handling...
- Multiple incremental improvements with the External Changelog, including reliability and performance
- Revision 6190 - Upgraded the version of the Berkeley DB Java Edition to 4.0.73
- Revision 6192 (Issue #4360) - Improves responsiveness of the OpenDS server when hammered with large searches and slow clients
- Revisions 6198, 6209 (Issue #4371) - Solves an issue with PKCS12 certificates that do not have alias
- Revision 6208 (Issue #4373) - Improves time to start the replication service
- Revision 6292 (Issue #3601) - Adds the ability to update or delete schema attribute types and object classes definitions in the Control Panel
- Revision 6332 (Issue #4472) - Fixes the way a Workflow element is checked to be a parent of another Workflow element
- Revision 6334 (Issue #4464) - Solves an issue where reading the RootDSE could take too long when External Changelog is enabled
- Revision 6336 (Issue #4477) - Increases the maximum size of DB log files from 10MB to 100MB
- Revision 6351 - Support for localization in Catalan (ES_CA)
- Revision 6353 (Issue #4489) - Resolve an issue where Java would not be detected even though JAVA_HOME variable was set