OpenDS 2.0.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available
By Ludo on May 25, 2009
The OpenDS development team is very pleased to announce the immediate availability of OpenDS 2.0.0-RC1 which is the first release candidate for OpenDS 2.0.
OpenDS 2.0 has a number of new features over OpenDS 1.2.0 that was released in February 2009 :
- A new mode for Multi-Master Replication providing greater consistency and availability of data: Assured Replication
- Recurring tasks allow an administrator to schedule repeated tasks such as backups
- New extensible matching rules and indexing allowing comparing, ordering of data according to specific locales and languages
- Better monitoring information for the server and for Replication
- Full compliance with RFC 4518 and matching of UTF-8 in attributes with a DirectoryString syntax
- VLV indexes are now built during the Import
- Several improvements in the Control Panel
- Works with IBM JVM (Java 6 SR4 required)
- Works by default with JConsole and VisualVM when JMX Connection Handler is enabled
- Default settings and ergonomics have been improved reducing the need for tuning parts of the server
- Greatly improved performances and stability over time of those performances
- Resolved a possible security issue when Pre-ReadEntry, Post-ReadEntry and Assertion Controls were enabled
Overall, over 150 issues have been fixed. However, there are still a few issues with the release candidates, and more specifically upgrading from an earlier version is not functional. This should be fixed in the next release candidate.
Localization of the OpenDS messages is still work in progress and thus some messages can still appear in English when running a localized version of the server.
The purpose of the Release Candidate is to solicit one last round of testing before the final release.
So please test the OpenDS release with your client applications, in your environment or on your favorite platform.
If you do find a bug, please report it with Issue Tracker.
OpenDS 2.0.0-RC1 is built from revision 5374 of the b2.0 branch of our source tree.
The direct link to download the core server is: http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC1/OpenDS-2.0.0-RC1.zip
The direct link to download the DSML gateway is: http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC1/OpenDS-2.0.0-RC1-DSML.war
We have also updated the archive that may be used to install OpenDS via Java Web Start. You may launch that using the URL http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC1/install/QuickSetup.jnlp, or visit https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/OverviewOfTheQuickSetupTool for more information.
Detailed information about this build is available at http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC1.
Major changes incorporated since OpenDS 1.3.0-build006 include:
- Revision 5318 (Issue #3969) - Provide support for wildcards in dsconfig certificate management.
- Revision 5321 (Issue #3962) - Fix memory leaks after Bind - Unbind
- Revision 5323 (Issue #3971) - Enable Windows to detect the JVM automatically on install.
- Revision 5336 (Issue #3981) - Fix uncontrolled memory growth under heavy connect/disconnect load.
- Revision 5338 (Issue #3977) - Fix memory leak in Control Panel.
- Revision 5347 (Issue #3938) - Improve the speed of dsconfig in non-interactive mode.
- Revision 5364 (Issue #3995) - Fix an error that caused replication to stop if the queue-size-bytes maximum was reached.
- Revision 5365 (Issue #3250) - Fix a problem that could cause replication initialization to fail.
- Revision 5369 (Issues #3984 & #3989) - Fix security issues with Assertion, Pre-Read, and Post-Read Controls.
- Revision 5374 - Upgrade JE to the latest official release (3.3.82).