creating Firefox 2/IE7 search plug-in for Yahoo! group
By Katsumii-Oracle on Dec 16, 2007
One of my Yahoo group I subscribe doesn't disclose its archive to public. E-mails are not getting indexed to Google because its archive is open for search to members only. So, I created search plug-in. I heard there's Firefox plug-in to easily create search plug-ins. But I used a web site called 'Ready2Search' which generates plug-in.
- Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/ and go to the group I subscribe.
- Submit a search. Confirm that search term appears in URL, which means search was done by GET rather than POST.
- Open Ready2Search.
- Fill in 3 boxes in the left.
- (This part is not mandatory.) Now, I want to assign a small graphic. I decided to use groups.yahoo.com site's favicon.ico file. As it says on the right half of the page, it doesn't accept ico file so I converted to png. I could have saved it to a png file on disk and choose it in the lower box to the right. Instead, I base64 encoded it without saving to disk.
$ curl http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/yg/img/logo/favicon.ico \\
| convert ico:- png:- | perl -MMIME::Base64 -0777 -ne 'print encode_base64($_,"")'
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 1406 100 1406 0 0 6376 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 2224
- Paste the base64 string to upper right box in the page. Click on 'Read the image text'. Confirm the image.
- Click 'Make search plug-in' button.
- Click on 'OpenSearch plug-in' in lower left and install plug-in.