Wednesday Jan 13, 2010
Tuesday Nov 03, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on Nov 03, 2009
If you are using Java SE 5.0, you need to know that the EOSL for Java SE 5.0 occurred on Oct 30th. Version 5.0u22 is the last publicly available update of 5.0.
Thursday Oct 29, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on Oct 29, 2009
GlassFish Enterprise Server v2.1.1 has been released. This version provides infrastructure support for the SailFin Application Server (Telco), contains about 170 bug fixes, and includes updates to several component packages including JSF, Grizzly, Jersey, and Open MQ. You can refer to the GlassFish v2.1.1 page for details on the improvements that went into this release. The bits for this release can be accessed as follows:
Wednesday Jun 24, 2009
Fortinet Expands Database Vulnerability Assessment with Support for Sun Microsystems’ MySQL Enterprise
By Jennifer Glore on Jun 24, 2009
View the press release here:
Monday May 04, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on May 04, 2009
MySQL 5.4 Benchmarks In-Depth
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Join us for this informative technical webinar presented by performance expert, Allan Packer, Principal Engineer at Sun Microsystems. In this webinar Allan will give an overview of the scalability and performance improvements of MySQL 5.4. This version can yield up to 90% faster response times, and scalability up to 16-way x86 servers and 64-way CMT servers. Allan will also explore in depth, several benchmarks concerning MySQL 5.4, including Sysbench results on CMT and Nehalem systems plus an OLTP workload derived from an industry-standard benchmark. If you are interested learning about the performance improvements in MySQL 5.4 and related benchmarks, this webinar is for you!
Tuesday Apr 21, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on Apr 21, 2009
Today, at the MySQL User's Conference, MySQL Cluster 7.0 was released. MySQL Cluster 7.0 new features
- Enhanced scalability - delivers over 4x higher database performance with fewer nodes to simplify deployment and administration.
- Expanded platform support and interoperability - delivers more choice in both the development and deployment of MySQL Cluster.
- Flexible online backup - snapshots reduce DBA administration overhead and operational costs.
Our groups assisted with the performance benchmarks for the release. Check out Hasham's blog here for the full details. Highlights of the results are:
For 4 Node Cluster, we achieved 251,000 Transactions per minute which is more than 4X improvement over the MySQL Cluster 6.3 release.
For 2 Node Cluster, we achieved 143,000 Transactions per minute which is more than 4X improvement over the MySQL Cluster 6.3 release.
Whether a user is looking to take advantage of the latest multi-core, multi-thread server processors, or is seeking to reduce space and energy consumption of their Cluster hardware, MySQL Cluster 7.0 provides a higher throughput, more efficient solution than previous generations of the MySQL Cluster database.
Sunday Apr 19, 2009
SPECjAppServer Dell Solution Pricing: Oracle WebLogic Server Standard Edition Release 10.3 on Dell PowerEdge 2950 III (Part 3)
By Jennifer Glore on Apr 19, 2009
This blog outlines the pricing details for the the SPECjAppServer Oracle WebLogic Server Standard Edition Release 10.3 on Dell PowerEdge 2950 III submission. This section of the blog outlines the pricing details for the software components and lists the total costs for hardware and software.
Wednesday Apr 15, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on Apr 15, 2009
MySQL Connector/C++ is a MySQL database connector for C++ that ISVs and other application developers who have C++ applications can use to connect, insert, and retrieve data from a MySQL database. The MySQL Connector/C++ mimics the JDBC 3.0 API. The Connector/C++ preview implements about 75% of the methods of the JDBC 3.0 API. MySQL Connector/C++ can be downloaded from here under the Connector section. Note that it is a beta release.
Recently, Giri Mandalika, one of our engineers within ISV Engineering, wrote an article on how to develop database application using MySQL Connector/C++. It also dives into how to install MySQL Connector/C++ from Source. This article will be extremely useful for C++ application developers that want to connect to a MySQL database. The full article can be found at:
Friday Feb 27, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on Feb 27, 2009
Are you a Java developer that needs help figuring out how to connect to a MySQL database using the Connector/J JDBC driver? If so, check out this introductory article written by Giri Mandalika:
Monday Jan 05, 2009
By Jennifer Glore on Jan 05, 2009
For those of you who are interested in installing the Ruby and Python drivers for MySQL on Solaris, check out Arathi's blog entries for step-by-step instructions.
She recently wrote up these documents as she was learning more about MySQL. Hope that you find them useful.
Monday Dec 22, 2008
By Jennifer Glore on Dec 22, 2008
It's been a long time coming, but screencasts of our Java CAPS 6 Web Services Integration with ILOG JRules 6.7 are finally available here. The screencast is broken up into four different pieces for easier viewing:
- Creating the JRules Rules Application Service
- Creating the BPEL Process
- Creating the Composite Application
- Creating the Visual JSF Test Application
Tuesday Nov 25, 2008
By Jennifer Glore on Nov 25, 2008
Thursday Oct 23, 2008
By Jennifer Glore on Oct 23, 2008
I'm trying to learn more about Zmanda and MySQL. It's just ones of those topics that is on my list of things to Google. At this point, I know that Zmanda can do backup and recovery for MySQL, but that is about it. I'd really like to get a better grasp of the technology and how it benefits a MySQL user. Interestingly enough, over the past week or so, I've found a few mentions of Zmanda in my inbox that might speed this learning process along. So, I thought that I would share them with those people who find themselves in the same situation.
- Whitepaper: Zmanda Recovery Manager
- Webinar: The Essentials of MySQL Backup & Recovery : Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL on Thursday, November 06, 2008, 16:00 GMT, 17:00 CET Register
- Webinar: Troubleshooting Performance Issues and Managing Backup/Recovery with MySQL Enterprise and Zmanda Recovery Manager on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:00 am PST Register
- Zmanda backup tool article in the fall issue of MySQL Magazine. All of the issues are available for free download from http://www.mysqlzine.net (thanks to the editor for sending me this information. I hadn't seen it yet
Additionally, I have discovered that there are people at Sun that have made sure that Zmanda's products work well with ours. One of these people is Tom Hanvey. I'm sure that others were involved as well. Thanks for all of your hard work, which includes:
- The Amanda Enterprise backup and Zmanda Recovery Manager for MySQL have both been certified on Solaris 10 (x86+SPARC), and their products work with OpenSolaris as well.
- They are also certified on the x4540, x4150, x4240 out J4200, J4400 with our raid and non-raid SAS HBAs with or without ZFS.
- Whitepaper: Sun Fire X4540 Server as Backup Server for Zmanda's Amanda Enterprise 2.6 Software
Additionally, more papers will be coming, so look out for them.
Now, I just need to carve out some time to familiarize myself with Zmanda's products.
Monday Oct 06, 2008
- Silicon Valley Java FX User Group Meeting Tonight
- Zinnia Systems sees great performance of Zarada Revenue Management System on Sun Hardware with Solaris 10 and GlassFish
- GlassFish ESB v2.2 now available
- Video on Java Store
- New Release of Java Store and Warehouse
- GlassFish v3 Released
- JavaFX Mobile 1.2 for Windows Mobile OS has been released
- Sun and PayPal announce PayPal Payment Option for Java Store
- EOSL for Java SE 5.0
- GlassFish Enterprise Server v2.1.1 released