By George Trujillo on May 08, 2009
An Oracle DBA's Future is So Bright They've Got to Wear Shades
As an Oracle DBA (18 years) focused on enterprise management (OEM) across the Oracle Infrastructure (Database Server and Fusion Middleware) I ventured into open source with MySQL and joined MySQL AB. With the Sun acquisition of MySQL and the possible Oracle acquisition of Sun I will have come full cycle. I am so excited about the potential merging of Oracle and Sun technologies. In terms of sharing knowledge I feel it is important to write some white papers on performance tuning Solaris platforms for database servers. Solaris has a number of very cool features for optimizing and diagnosing database servers.
So my continued journey into the Sun is going to take into some areas that maximize my background:
- Unix/Solaris/Red Hat administration for 20 years back to the SunOS days.
- Oracle Database Server High Availability (RAC, Data Guard, Streams).
- Oracle Fusion Middleware (J2EE, BPEL, SOA, XML, Web Services, Oracle Business Rules).
- Oracle Enterprise Manager (Grid Control).
So I plan on writing some white papers and blogs focusing on the following areas of Sun technology:
- Containers and Zones.
- Solaris optimization for Oracle.
- ZFS best practices for Oracle.
- Dtrace for DBAs.