Sun CEC 2008 in Las Vegas: MySQL Sessions a tremendous success at the conference!
By George Trujillo on Nov 17, 2008
MySQL Sessions at Sun CEC 2008
I was asked to put together a MySQL training track at the Sun CEC 2008 conference in Las Vegas. I've never had so much fun delivering at a conference. During the Sun Customer Engineer Conference we delivered 11 sessions preparing attendees for eventually the MySQL DBA certification. We started off with attendees from multiple tracks sitting in the first session which gave us a body count of 84. Over the entire week, these sessions regularly had 70+ plus seats filled. Highlights of the sessions include:
- Marc Sodano - discussing strategic directions in MySQL education.
- George Trujillo - delivering 9 sessions on MySQL DBA topics.
- Martin Mickos - positioning MySQL and defining directions and strategies for MySQL.
- David Stokes - discussing MySQL certification and directions.
- Anders Karlsson - delivering real life stories of MySQL being used at very large web companies.
- Domas Mituzas - discussing how MySQL is being used at Wikipedia one of largest web sites in the world.
- Cliff Conklin - delivering sessions on Storage Engines and Transactions.
By the end of the conference all the Sun engineers were able to perform the following:
- Install the MySQL software with a custom database server configuration.
- Understand the benefits of MOCA best practices and guidelines.
- Configure the MySQL database server, setup binary logging and all administration logs.
- Perform basic administration tasks.
- Understand the fundamentals of SQL query tuning and server tuning.
- Work with and modify key server parameters.
- Set up new users and understand fundamentals of MySQL security.
- Backup and recover a MySQL database server.
- Set up and test MySQL replication.
Attendees took MySQL Associate Exam
David Stokes the MySQL Certification Manager was there to discuss certification, define directions in MySQL certification and show attendees the path to MySQL certifications. David also provided a lot of the energy and ideas surrounding the conference.
On the last day we offered the Associate exam with fifty people passing and two failing.
50 exams taken
48 CMA Certifications (94 or 96% success rate)
Attendees will now be working towards MySQL DBA certifications.
Tons of success stories: Here are a few.
Attendee after attendee from other tracks after hearing about the awesome MySQL sessions came in trying to join. "The MySQL sessions were fun, entertaining and I never learned so much in one week". "Some of the best presenters I've ever heard at a conference." "The week was excellent." The best I ever had at a CEC". "Best organized sessions of the conference." "MySQL rocks!"
Guest speakers a big success!
- Marc Sodano
- David Stokes
- Anders Karlsson
- Domas Mituzas
- Cliff Conklin
Marten Mickos at Sun CEC
We also had a guest appearance from Marten Mickos who did a great job of positioning MySQL within Sun and laying out directions as we move forward. Getting Marten to come in and speak to Sun SE's looking at MySQL certification was the icing on the cake for the sessions.
Thank you everybody!