By forsini on Jul 09, 2007
A non exhaustive list of new features in this release:
- DBA Powers to control who can shutdown, encrypt and upgrade databases.
- Secure Server which makes the Derby Network Server secure by default.
- Language Based Ordering which adds built in language based ordering (collation) and like processing to Derby.
- SSL/TLS to allow secure SSL/TLS communication between a client and a Derby server.
- Various performance improvements in query processing along with reduced CPU usage in Derby embedded core engine.
- Alter Table DROP or RENAME of a column. This means that most dynamic schema modifications are now possible in Derby.
More details at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease
NOTE that this is a release candidate, not a GA (General Availability) one, which should be available soon after public testing has completed and reported issues have been addressed.