The Curious Case of Morning Routine: A Simple Example of Case Management
By Manish Palaparthy on Jun 03, 2013
Here is an example of Case Management I tried out over the weekend. It is a Case of a Person's Morning Routine. Every person performs certain tasks every morning, but, perhaps not in the same order. A Person may choose to not perform some of the tasks too.
Some of the morning activities of a person may include
- Brush Teeth
- Get Dressed
- Eat Breakfast
- Check Email
Every Person may handle the morning routine differently. A Person may even choose not to perform an activity as part of the routine. I've illustrated some sample routines
You will notice that the routines are different, but, certain patterns could emerge out of each case, for instance, activity "Get Dressed" always succeeds Shower. There can be other patterns based on time taken for each activity. If we wanted to add complexity the case of Morning Routine, we could parallelise tasks and model Eat Breakfast & Check Email together.
When the number of persons increase you could potentially detect patterns based on the persons age, sex, country and so on. There are many possibilities!!.
I have developed a bare bones case management application using Oracle BPM PS6. It includes
- The case itself
- Each case activity modeled as a BPMN process
- Business rules to trigger case activities
- Case UI (This one is from the sample Case Management UI)
- The example application can be downloaded from here.
- The UI for the sample application is from the EURent sample. You will need the Case management sample UI application
- Don't forget to apply the pre-requisite patches before you start experimenting with case management on Oracle BPM PS6.