By Eric Bezille-Oracle on oct. 29, 2015
As explained by Dave Donatelli during today's Keynote: Cloud is changing everything. Especially disrupting the business model of infrastructure providers. To succeed today, you have to have a Cloud Strategy and a Cloud to offer to your customer, as it has several benefits:
- Offering customers the right solution for the job: being either in the Cloud or on-premise
- Learn and improve your development at every level thanks to your Cloud operations that need to work at a large scale
- Maximizing your R&D investment as you are not only building for your customers but also for your Cloud
Here, we are going beyond a pure performance gain, we are looking at efficiency. Any improvement made, not only benefit to customers, it is also benefiting to us by optimizing our Cloud, that's why we want to be the best. As stated by John Fowler: the better we do the Platform, the less we have to build multimillion $ Datacenter link to its associated hydro-electric plant ! That's why we are so serious about it.
So, why Oracle as your infrastructure provider ?
Because we need everything to build our Cloud efficiently, and we are engineering everything toward the new Cloud architecture:
- Archive: our biggest customers are the big Clouds
- Backup: from Tapes to disks with ZFS up to our unique Zero Data Lost Recovery Appliance for even greater efficiency
- Storage: the market is moving to full flash, but need a new architecture to match change and we have this architecture.
- Networking: to get the best efficiency, Network is a key part, here again we have the technology
- Compute: we cover from the just announced M7 servers, x86, up to Engineered Systems
- OS: we are developing our Oracle Linux, Solaris and Oracle VM
- Integration: Tight all those things together for maximum efficiency because we engineered the Database, Middleware, and the whole Suite of Applications... We can co engineered: we are unique
- Security: we have it across the stack, especially with the new M7 servers announcement and its unique Security on Silicon for a fully encrypted Datacenter
- Management: one way to navigate between public and private
- Support: One phone call for support
Having the ownership of all the components allow us to put the right function/feature at the right place: allowing for maximum efficiency.
This efficiency is even adopted at very large scale as demonstrated by several customers during many Oracle Open World sessions, like the Customer Panel on Big Data and Data warehouses. As such, the CERN to effectively manage and run the LHC with reduce IT involvement did replace a Do-It-Yourselves approach by a whole Oracle Engineered Systems for its Big Data implementation. As this was also illustrated during Neil Mendelson's Big Data and Analytic Strategy session: we are using the same technologies that we deliver to you on-premise and in our Cloud, and that we are keeping to improve for better efficiency at all level of the stack with the complete flexibility on where you want to operate back and force with a 100% hybrid Cloud model.