Tuesday Jan 16, 2007

Snipsnap v1.0b3

I've finally upgraded my wiki to the most recent version. I'm using snipsnap and have written about the upgrade to the Java version 1.0b3 and implementing a backup at their site [ Upgrade Snipsnap | Automated Backup]. I had previously been using version 1.0b2 running in tomcat.

It has also fixed a couple of other problems, the proxy server now works properly and the database is no longer port aware, the article RSS feeds are now available.

tags:

Friday Mar 10, 2006

Green Robot on SnipSnap

I showed a screenshot of a snipsnap theme based on the colour green and bluerobot here.... The exported .xml file is available at my Snipsnap site here... and now also at blogs.sun.com here.... I shall probably upload it somewhere more obvious when I get round to it.

I'd be grateful if someone tested it for me, and let me know.

tags:

Sunday Jan 29, 2006

Qube Diaries!

I've finally got an instance of Snipsnap running on my Qube and I've mucked around with the look and feel to give it my "Green Robot" look which my home site also has, if you like it, you can go there and download it.

 

screen shot of my snipsnap front page

 

I have used the .war version of snipsnap and have thus had to install Java, tomcat and snipsnap; the Qube's Linux does not come with any of these! Once I got the downloads to work correctly, this is fairly simple.

Java went on easily as you'd expect. I just followed the installation instructions at http://java.sun.com/. I took the full J2EE SDK pack for Linux. With tomcat, I took the binary distribution (V4.1) for Linux from the apache tomcat site. (I can't rember why we only took V4.1, there was a reason; it might be because of the oldness of the linux distro, or it might be Snipsnap thing.) Anyway the install is just a cp [copy] command. I then wrote a rc.d script for tomcat which needs to know where the ${JAVA_HOME} directory is but otherwise I have invoked the start and stop scripts distributed with tomcat. (They're in the ./bin directory). I also had to dick around with the tomcat-users.xml file. Installing Snipsnap was even simpler, with the .war version, you just need to upload this using the tomcat manager screen. When I uploaded the .war to tomcat, I had renamed the .war to snipsnap.war. (I think this is where it inherits its namespace root from, but anyway, you don't want all that version stuff leaking into the database structure.) All that's left then is amending the CSS to develop a new theme. Again Snipsnap's documentation is quite good and my only problem was my own CSS coding.

tags:

About

DaveLevy

Search

Archives
« April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
    
       
Today