Acrobat Reader 8 for Solaris x86
By danx on Sep 10, 2008
For years people have been complaining about the lack of a modern version of Adobe Reader® on Solaris™ x86. The latest version, 4.05, was released in 2000. Solaris for SPARC has a modern version, but not Solaris x86.
Alternatives exist, such as Evince, which work pretty well, but it has occasional problems for some documents, especially some complex documents.
Transitive Software now has a free download of QuickTransit® for Solaris/x86 with Adobe Reader 8.1.2. It combines their QuickTransit emulator, which runs Solaris SPARC software on Solaris x86, with Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for Solaris SPARC (see the screen shot). It even automaticaly installs a Firefox plugin (pwrapper.nppdf.so) that embeds PDF files in a Firefox window. To download/use:
- download from https://train.transitive.com/reader
- unzip with bunzip2 -c QuickTransit_AdobeReader-8.1.2_SU1-r1100.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -
- install (as root): cd TRNSquickTransit-AdobeReader; ./install.sh
- (optional) link acroread to transread: ln -s /usr/bin/transread /usr/bin/acroread
- Run as /usr/bin/transread
The free version of QuickTransit only runs Adobe Acrobat Reader. To run other SPARC software on Solaris x86, you need their paid version. For more info, see the Transitive Press Release on QuickTransit for Solaris/x86 with Adobe Reader.
Update: As of March 2009, Adobe now has a native Acrobat Reader for Solaris x86. It's available from http://www.adobe.com/ and installs in /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread