By Brad on Jul 21, 2009
Oracle BI EE Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 World Record PerformanceThe Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 server running the new 1.6 GHz UltraSPARC T2 Plus processor delivered world record performance on Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (BI EE) tests using Sun's ZFS.
The Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 server with four 1.6 GHz UltraSPARC T2 Plus processors delivered the best single system performance of 28K concurrent users on the Oracle BI EE benchmark. This result used Solaris 10 with Solaris Containers and the Oracle 11g Database software.
The benchmark demonstrates the scalability of Oracle Business Intelligence Cluster with 4 nodes running in Solaris Containers within single Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 server.
The Sun SPARC Enterprise Server T5440 server with internal SSD and the ZFS file system showed significant I/O performance improvement over traditional disk for Business Intelligence Web Catalog activity.
|1 x Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440||4||32||256||1.6||UltraSPARC T2 Plus||28,000|
|5 x Sun Fire T2000||1||8||32||1.2||UltraSPARC T1||10,000|
Results and Configuration SummaryHardware Configuration:
Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440
4 x 1.6 GHz UltraSPARC T2 Plus processors
STK2540 (6 x 146GB)
Solaris 10 5/09
Oracle BIEE 10.1.3.4 64-bit
Oracle 11g R1 Database
Benchmark DescriptionThe objective of this benchmark is to highlight how Oracle BI EE can support pervasive deployments in large enterprises, using minimal hardware, by simulating an organization that needs to support more than 25,000 active concurrent users, each operating in mixed mode: ad-hoc reporting, application development, and report viewing.
The user population was divided into a mix of administrative users and business users. A maximum of 28,000 concurrent users were actively interacting and working in the system during the steady-state period. The tests executed 580 transactions per second, with think times of 60 seconds per user, between requests. In the test scenario 95% of the workload consisted of business users viewing reports and navigating within dashboards. The remaining 5% of the concurrent users, categorized as administrative users, were doing application development.
The benchmark scenario used a typical business user sequence of dashboard navigation, report viewing, and drill down. For example, a Service Manager logs into the system and navigates to his own set of dashboards viz. .Service Manager.. The user then selects the .Service Effectiveness. dashboard, which shows him four distinct reports, .Service Request Trend., .First Time Fix Rate., .Activity Problem Areas., and .Cost Per completed Service Call . 2002 till 2005. . The user then proceeds to view the .Customer Satisfaction. dashboard, which also contains a set of 4 related reports. He then proceeds to drill-down on some of the reports to see the detail data. Then the user proceeds to more dashboards, for example .Customer Satisfaction. and .Service Request Overview.. After navigating through these dashboards, he logs out of the application
This benchmark did not use a synthetic database schema. The benchmark tests were run on a full production version of the Oracle Business Intelligence Applications with a fully populated underlying database schema. The business processes in the test scenario closely represents a true customer scenario.
Key Points and Best Practices
Since the server has 32 cores, we created 4 x Solaris Containers with 8 cores dedicated to each of the containers. And a total of four instances of BI server + Presentation server (collectively referred as an 'instance' here onwards) were installed at one instance per container. All the four BI instances were clustered using the BI Cluster software components.
The ZFS file system was used to overcome the 'Too many links' error when there are ~28,000 concurrent users. Earlier the file system has reached UFS limitation of 32767 sub-directories (LINK_MAX) with ~28K users online -- and there are thousands of errors due to the inability to create new directories beyond 32767 directories within a directory. Web Catalog stores the user profile on the disk by creating at least one dedicated directory for each user. If there are more than 25,000 concurrent users, clearly ZFS is the way to go.
Oracle Business Intelligence Website, BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE has other results