Zeus ZXTM Traffic Manager World Record on Sun T5240
By Judith Piantedosi on Jul 21, 2009
Significance of Results
The Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 server equipped with two UltraSPARC T2 processors running at 1.6 GHz delivered World Record ZXTM HTTPThroughput results.
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 (2 UltraSPARC T2 Plus 1.6GHz) delivers an HTTPThroughput of 13.4 Gbit/sec and a price-performance of 5.5K $/Gb/sec which is 34% better performance and 2.6x the price-performance than a f5 BIG-IP VIPRON (Chassis + 1 blade).
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 (2 UltraSPARC T2 Plus 1.6GHz) delivers an HTTPThroughput of 13.4 Gbit/sec and a price-performance of 5.5K $/Gb/sec which is 91% better performance and 2.7x the price-performance than a f5 BIG-IP 8800.
- Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 (2 UltraSPARC T2 Plus 1.6GHz) delivers an HTTPThroughput of 13.4 Gbit/sec and a price-performance of 5.5K $/Gb/sec which is 3.3x the price-performance than a Citrix 12000.
- Sun's UltraSPARC T2+ processor includes support for common bulk ciphers, secure hash operations and both prime and binary field Elliptic Cryptography. The UltraSPARC T2 processor supports RC4, DES, 3DES, AES-128, AES-192, AES-256, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256.
Performance LandscapeZeus ZXTM HTTPThroughput Chart (ordered by performance)
|Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 (2x 1.6GHz US T2 Plus)|| 13.4
|f5 BIG-IP VIPRION||10.0||$141K|| 14.1K
|Sun SPARC Enterprise T5140 (2x 1.2GHz US T2 Plus)|| 9.1
|f5 BIG-IP 8800|| 7.0
|f5 BIG-IP 6900|| 6.0
|Sun SPARC Enterprise T5120 (1x 1.2GHz US T2)|| 5.9
|Citrix 10010|| 4.8
Performance graph of f5, Citrix and previous Sun results at: http://www.zeus.com/news/press_articles/zeus-price-performance-press-release.html?gclid=CLn4jLuuk5cCFQsQagod7gTkJA.
Results and Configuration SummaryHardware Configuration:
Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 with
- 2x 1.6GHz UltraSPARC T2 Plus
- 16 GB memory
- 1 internal 146GB 10K SAS drive
- 2x Sun 10GbE Xaui Card - (SESX7XA1Z)
- 2 x Dual 10GbE SFP+ PCIe ( X1109a-z ) with 1 X1109a-z per card
Zeus ZXTM version 5.1r1
The benchmark tests HTTP Throughput for Persistent HTTP connections. Large files bandwidth (Gbit/s) is measured by fetching large files. Load is applied by using ZeusBench, a benchmarking tool in ZXTM 5.1r1, and is used for Zeus internal performance testing and as a load generation tool. Multiple clients request 100MB files over http via the ZXTM load balancer.