SPC-1 Sun Storage 6180 Array Over 70% Better Price Performance than IBM
By Leah Schoeb on Oct 12, 2009
Significance of ResultsResults on the Sun Storage 6180 Array with 8Gb connectivity are presented for the SPC-1 benchmark.
The Sun Storage 6180 Array outperforms the IBM DS5020 by 72% in price performance on the SPC-1 benchmark.
The Sun Storage 6180 Array is 50% faster than the previous generation, Sun Storage 6140 Array and IBM DS4700 on the SPC-1 benchmark.
The Sun Storage 6180 Array betters the HDS 2100 by 27% in price performance on the SPC-1 benchmark.
The Sun Storage 6180 Array has 16% better IOPS/Drive performance than the HDS 2100 on the SPC-1 benchmark.
SPC-1 Performance Chart (in increasing price-performance order)
|Sponsor||System||SPC-1 IOPS||$/SPC-1 IOPS||ASU
SPC-1 IOPS = the Performance Metric
$/SPC-1 IOPS = the Price/Performance Metric
ASU Capacity = the Capacity Metric
Data Protection = Data Protection Metric
TSC Price = Total Cost of Ownership Metric
Results Identifier = A unique identification of the result Metric
Complete SPC-1 benchmark results may be found at http://www.storageperformance.org.
Results and Configuration Summary
- 80 x 146.8GB 15K RPM drives
8 Qlogic HBA
- IBM system x3850 M2
- MS Windows 2003 Server SP2
SPC-1 benchmark kit
Benchmark DescriptionSPC Benchmark-1 (SPC-1): is the first industry standard storage benchmark and is the most comprehensive performance analysis environment ever constructed for storage subsystems. The I/O workload in SPC-1 is characterized by predominately random I/O operations as typified by multi-user OLTP, database, and email servers environments. SPC-1 uses a highly efficient multi-threaded workload generator to thoroughly analyze direct attach or network storage subsystems. The SPC-1 benchmark enables companies to rapidly produce valid performance and price/performance results using a variety of host platforms and storage network topologies.
SPC1 is built to:
- Provide a level playing field for test sponsors.
- Produce results that are powerful and yet simple to use.
- Provide value for engineers as well as IT consumers and solution integrators.
- Is easy to run, easy to audit/verify, and easy to use to report official results.
Key Points and Best Practices
- Sun Storage 6180 Array SPC-1 Executive Summary (6 pages, acrobat pdf)
- Complete Sun Storage 6180 Array SPC-1 Full Disclosure Report (acrobat pdf)
- Storage Performance Council (SPC) Home Page
- Ideas International Benchmark Page
SPC-1, SPC-1 IOPS, $/SPC-1 IOPS reg tm of Storage Performance Council (SPC). More info www.storageperformance.org. Sun Storage 6180 Array 26,090.03 SPC-1 IOPS, ASU Capacity 5,145.060GB, $/SPC-1 IOPS $4.70, Data Protection Mirroring, Cost $122,623, Ident. A00084.